HDV to DV

Jan Kielland

• Premium Member
Hi

Will the quality of the picture look better if it's shot HDV then exportet from the camera as DV, or will the result be the same as if it was shot DV?

Jan Kielland

Hi,

Motion is more compressed in HDV and a dropout very nasty. You need to test what you are shooting, but I would probably record HDV.

Stephen

Shoot as HDV, import as HDV and after that re-render everything in PAL/NTSC uncompressed for color correction if needed. I've shoot recentily some documentary with Sony FX1 and I'm very impressed what I've made with Vegas & Magic Bullet Looks from this material. Much better than you can do with DV.

Cheers,

Alex

if you know you'll never need the hdv you should probably shoot in dv. the quality will normally be exactly the same, but you reduce the risk of nasty dropouts as well as some of the aliasing and banding you get when you pan fast in hdv. but i agree the extra res is good for post processing, so editing and grading in hdv and downconverting as a last step is probably the best advice.

/matt

Hi

Will the quality of the picture look better if it's shot HDV then exportet from the camera as DV, or will the result be the same as if it was shot DV?

Jan Kielland

Jan to answer your question exactly as you've asked it. The answer is NO in my humble opinion. I beleive if you were to aquire footage in HDV and have the camera itself downconvert that HDV to DV via firewire, then the footge will look identical to if you aquire it in DV and captured via firewire.

The question I have for you is, why "wouldn't" you aquire your footage in HDV?

Now remember, I say this only because I've tested it using this method and that's the result I got. HOWEVER, when I downconverted HDV to MPEG2 to make a DVD or I downconverted HDV to DV using a NLE...the result was NOTICABLY better. This is why I suggest people who own HD cameras, always shoot HD.

I beleive if you were to aquire footage in HDV and have the camera itself downconvert that HDV to DV via firewire, then the footge will look identical to if you aquire it in DV and captured via firewire.

that depends on how you define identical. it may very well look exactly the same, but it will have gone through another generation of compression, so it can't possibly be "techically" identical. it's also very possible that scaling raw ccd data is more efficient that scaling an hdv frame. i don't know but it's not unlikely. it's certainly possible that you would get slightly better quality from shooting in dv. i'd still shoot hdv for future proofing but if this is for a client who wants sd and that you're not likely to hear from again, i can't really see the point. "possibly" better quality, less risk for dropouts, the ability to use the tape in a dv deck, are definitely the pros. the cons are few.

/matt