John Pytlak Illness

John Pytlak RIP

I have a project where the director wants me to research shooting anamorphic on 16mm. Searching around I found a presentation given by John Pytlak on 1.5X squeeze for the 16x9 aspect ratio. In your presentation I found the advantage of the 1.5X lenses vs the disadvantage of using the current 2X lens.

In the presentation John you surmised that there would be little interest in 1.5 squeeze lens because movie theaters would need to purchase new lenses to un-squeeze the new format.

With this valuable information I can go back to the director and have further conversation about the idea. So John, your hard work and pearls of wisdom are still helping us figure out our production problems.

Thank you and all the best.

That's a very interesting post and right inline with some things I've been researching. Can you tell me where you found that presentation?

John, I'm wishing you the best from Denver, CO. We had a pretty rough winter here in Colorado but nothing at all compared to where you are at. I hope you are enjoying your spring and are doing something fun. Best wishes always.

John,

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. As a native (and longtime resident) of Brockport, NY I hope that the end of winter and beginning of spring lifted your spirits a bit. I know that spring was always a welcome sight when I lived up there.

There are a lot of people spread all over this planet wishing you a full and speedy recovery, this forum is a small testament to that. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

Sincerely,

Jeff Tanner

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread a little but I know there are at least two of you out there interested and didn't want to start another thread "Nick Mulders Lymphoma"...

So here we have it >> Quick 'cancer' fact update:

Tumor # 1 has shrunk from 12cm to 6cm

Tumor # 2 has shrunk from something small to something smaller by the

same factor as tumor # 1

These are just linear measurements - the volume I don't know exactly,

but with the cube factor and wotnot it means they are well smaller

than half the original size ...

I have another CT in 2 months - if the results show no further

shrinkage then doc's will airmail me to Australia to have a

sugar-coated PET photocopy/scan made of my insides to confirm its just

scar-tissue left over ...

If that come out all fancy and 'dark' in the right spots then my chemo

will be reduced to a 6 month treatment and that means I will have no

more from that point on (and the 8 month trial I'm on to be compared with another chemo regime (BEACOPP) will become void, but the doc

is happy with that for my sakes).

As for me, as opposed to my insides which to a major extent really have

nothing to do with my daily existence... Well it aint all so rosy, but

certainly not dire:

Veins: pain, pain, pain from the D of ABVD I think (I've lost

interest in finding out to tell you the truth)

Brain: I seem to have developed a bit of a fog for small details

(usually trivial) - and on occasion jumble up saying things - I

referred to someones degree in set design the other day as having

'first ass honors' - This case and in general usually results in

laughter so I'm ok with it and I dont seem to have lost any creative

or 'mechanical' thinking ability - I just get odd looks from people a

little more often than I used to ...

Poo's : take a while

Nausea: off and on - more off than on - sense of smell and taste

augmented to super-hero levels which goes hand in hand with the associative nausea/yuckiness I get with alcohol and disinfectants

Mouth: Ulcers gone! got them for a month, now I have zero - get funny

tastes all the time tho, not pleasant

General: shooting pains all over my extremities and associated loosing

sleep over it

Hair: Still fully intact ! a little thinner, but only those who

really know me notice that - Doc has noted I am on the outer limits of

the 'normal curve' for more than a few factors the most pleasing being

the cancers response to the chemo

Me: working 40-50 hour weeks - pretty much 7 days though so there is

usually relaxy timeys involved in each day - many projects on the go, film, sound and theatre related ... Spending much more time on my own lately though after having had a very social periods recently

end cancer fact update*********

I can only hope that John is well on his way to the same speedy recovery that I seem to be headed towards - I've head real trouble accepting that this appears to be the case for me for fear of somehow jinxing the whole thing :ph34r: but maybe its time I gave up on that on moved on...

Best wishes to everyone ! ;)

On the cusp of being old enough to know better...

sqrt 985.96

heh - just noticed a great example of my brain fuzz in the line "I've head real trouble" - mind you that could have been a typo with e being in the vicinity of both a and d - I did read that post more than once before I posted it though :huh:

Edited by Nick Mulder

John & Nick,

I pray hard for both ou you. Both of you have been very positive in your mind. Though you are sick, you come up to share your experience not to seek simpathy but post us with newer knowledge and info. I appreciate it very much. God bless you. Have good rest and take care.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, my May 16 CAT scan showed at least three areas of blockage caused by the tumors growing along my small intestine. Lately, it is very difficult to get enough water into my system to stay hydrated. IV hydration is a short term-option, but hospice end-of-life care is strongly being suggested.

We gave it our best shot with the Chemo to slow the growth of the tumors. Further surgery (e.g., ostomy) has been ruled out do to the multiple tumors and blockages. So depending on how things go over the next few weeks, this may be my last posting.

I've really enjoyed all the support and good wishes from my friends here on Cinematography.com. It has cheered me during my long illness. I've enjoyed helping Kodak's customers, and discussing the growth and changes in this facinating industry.

Please continue to keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

John

• Premium Member

John, you're an inspiration to us all. I'm glad that I met you just before your illness, when you were generous enough to give me and my wife a tour of the Kodak plant (April 15, 2005). My image of you is when you took us to that bridge to look at the waterfall behind the old downtown buildings. Here is the photo you took of us with my digital camera, which is a little misexposed (never hand a digital camera to a Kodak engineer! ;) )

rochester1.jpg

I just wish I had taken one of you. The one that the other Kodak engineer took of us at lunch didn't come out at all, more irony I guess.

Where there is life, there is hope. Stay strong, John.

I don't post much here but I spend most of my time searching through the archives and always run into one of your innumerable instructive posts. And I can tell you, I've learned so much from them.

Please stay positive. My thoughts are with you, your family and friends.

Hello John,

There is always hope.

I remember reading what Eisenhower told the troops just before they crossed the English Channel on D-Day. He told them to prepare yourself for the worst, but hope for the best. I never forgot those words.

When ever I need some hope, I turn to any of the "Road To" movies...as in Bob Hope. There is not a more delightful way to spend some time.

You are a great man John, and you always will be.

We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Mike

• Premium Member
We gave it our best shot with the Chemo to slow the growth of the tumors. Further surgery (e.g., ostomy) has been ruled out do to the multiple tumors and blockages. So depending on how things go over the next few weeks, this may be my last posting.

I've really enjoyed all the support and good wishes from my friends here on Cinematography.com. It has cheered me during my long illness. I've enjoyed helping Kodak's customers, and discussing the growth and changes in this facinating industry.

Cancer is probaly the Worse disease their is. _ But their is always another route to try. _ Radiation has worked in many cases, it is brutish but can kill very selectively. Please stay positive and do get a second or third opinion. this better to live on IV and continue to learn than to not ask as many questions as you can.

We are all hopeing you can keep that imaginary stick on the ice.

Cancer is probaly the Worse disease their is. _ But their is always another route to try. _ Radiation has worked in many cases, it is brutish but can kill very selectively. Please stay positive and do get a second or third opinion. this better to live on IV and continue to learn than to not ask as many questions as you can.

We are all hopeing you can keep that imaginary stick on the ice.

John,

No. That is certainly not your last post to us in the forum. We still need you. You could see so many are responding to you and wishing you speedy recovery. Look forward with your strong will, you will succeed. Regards to you and family.

John- you are an incredible asset to this board, to cinematography in general, and to the world as a person. Your depth of knowledge has always been a secondary trait, the primary being your incredible generosity and eagerness to share it. Thank you for all you do. Get better soon- my thoughts and my prayers are with you and your family. Incredibly appreciatively,

Mike Panczenko