John Pytlak Illness

John Pytlak RIP

• Premium Member
" perhaps an annual seminar at at a technical conference,

Concidering all John has done both in our group as well as the industry as a whole - I would say that this would be a worth project. An anual lecture in John,s name bringing in someone on the leading edge of "filmmaking" wherever that term leads us in the future, with hopefully the presentaion archived and freely available on the web to make it available to all those who wish to learn more about the technique behind the art of images on the screen.

Since john's is in New York State, RIT, or SUNY or even GEH might be a sutable home for such an anual event. I course we can all hope that it will be a few years yet before it needs to be established.

John: Glad to hear you managed to duck another onslaught of negative Karma on your stairs. We all all pulling for you, and I don't think anyone can say enough to tryly praise your contributions to the world of cine.

• Premium Member

I'm still hanging in there!

Recovered well from the fall. Have a hospital bed and very comfortable recliner set up in our family room. Able to use a walker to get around the house, and to twice-weekly IV hydration at the cancer clinic. Unfortunately, not able to get many calories or much protein into my system, so I continue to lose weight and strength. (Have vomited several times in last week, so I am probably not getting 1000 calories and 60 grams of protein per day).

Support from family and friends has been great. Your prayers and good wishes continue to cheer and help me.

You'd think in America, scientists would have invented a way to maximize caloric consumption...

Keep up your spirits, John, we're all rooting for you!

I don't know if it's because of the cancer that the protein isn't being digested internally, or if it's just the fact that eating and drinking is a problem, but I've got a 2.5kg tub or pure whey protein sitting in my kitchen. Mixes in with milk or even water with the use of a shaker.

Or even better there are 'all in one' mixes you can buy, containing carbs, fats, protein etc.

Not that I think this will help.. I would imagine the doctors have already thought of this. But if they hadn't, this stuff can be picked up from most health shops.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Dear John,

You remind me very much of Morrie Schwartz and his determination to live each and every moment of his life. To be as sick as you are and still keeping up with your electronic family is incredibly inspirational. God bless and keep you John Pytlak.

Hello John:

I just wanted to send a belated thanks to you for all your help on this site. Most important is your kind disposition when answering all kinds of crazy stuff. Like when someone is processing film in their bathtub or toilet or kitchen sink with old stock and nearly exhausted chemistry and comes looking for tips on how to make thing look grainier or have deeper blacks or more contrast - you never condescended or patronized anyone. Through your selfless nature, you educated, informed and encouraged us.

So for those of us who would rather do it ourselves than send it to the lab -- I salute you!

Respectfully yours,

Roy Cross

in Montreal

Hi John,

I thought about you last night.The owner of the last remaining drive in theater in town called me to run the projectors(three screen,two Century's and one Simplex).Apparently his manager whom he had put in last year left him high and dry after ripping him off.The booth was in shambles with two platters not working properly(he had also left the snack bar with almost no inventory and it too was a mess).

Anyway, I thought about you,as I know you used to be a projectionist at a drive in.Surprisingly,there are still a number of drive in theaters around the country that are turning a profit.Wonder how many of them will survive digital projection.

Doesn't sound appetizing...

Oh, it isn't. It looks and tastes a bit like powdered mummy. :P

John, I can't emphasise enough how much I admire you courage. For me, vomiting several times in one week would require years on Sigmund Freud's couch, you're taking it in your stride.

;)

Doesn't sound appetizing...
Oh, it isn't. It looks and tastes a bit like powdered mummy. :P

:lol: doesn't seem all that bad to me. Taste like milk.

But seriously John, the 'all in one' servings give you an extra 1000 calories a day. And they dissolve into water or milk quite easily.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, some of the thicker "clear liquid" supplements like "Enlive" have caused SEVERE painful cramping. Last evening, I was in great pain for over an hour until the thick residue drained out though my drainage tube and eventually got vomited. Remember, nothing is going through my small intestine, which is blocked by tumors, so what goes in by mouth has to come out by mouth (vomit). :(

• Premium Member

I am still "hanging in there". The main issue is now getting enough protein and calories into my system to sustain itself. For now, the cancer center does NOT want to use direct protein infusion into an IV "PIC Line" which has a very high risk of infection that could kill me. They prefer trying to heavily dilute my oral protein and calorie supplement so it does not cause cramping or build up excessively in my totally blocked small intestine. Without nutrition (calories), my body is getting very weak --- a few days ago, I fell from weakness, and needed someone to lift me back up again to use the walker to support myself.

I think "Hanging in there" is the whole key, John. No matter how bad this thing gets, how painful it is, never give up because the world would be a poorer place without you around so keep on fighting with all you've got and when you feel like you just can't fight anymore, that's when you gotta dig deep and fight on even with nothing. You're facing the greatest challenge of your life right now but you will rise to it and defeat this thing. Stay strong, even though your body is weak. Have courage, never surrender and know always, EVERYONE is with you, you family, your friends and ALL of us here.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

Hi everyone,

This is Anne, John's daughter. I am so sorry to give you the news that my dad passed away last night at 11:40pm EST after a year-long battle with cancer. My dad had a fantastic day Thursday -- he felt the strongest he has in a long time and had a very enjoyable day with his sister and brother-in-law who came to visit. He has been sleeping downstairs the past few weeks in a hospital bed and I have been nearby on the couch, and he slept quite well Thursday night. Friday morning he said he felt weaker than usual, but was very optimistic about trying to have more nutrition within the next few weeks. At 10am, he started having severe cramping and it got progressively worse as time went on. He was on 2ml morphine every half hour and nothing could stop the intense pain. Even though he had so much morphine, he never lost his consciousness and was very alert throughout the whole ordeal. He decided to enter hospice that evening. My sister Katie flew home from Boston and arrived around 10:30pm. At hospice, the nurses were able to give him enough sedatives to lessen pain, and he fell into a deep sleep. He died very peacefully, surrounded by family.

He gave me his username and password a few weeks ago and wanted me to inform you of the news when needed. He loved participating on film tech, cinematography.com, and various film boards and he had such admiration and respect for you. He -- and my family -- appreciated all your kind words and prayers. My dad may not have met many of you face to face but he considered you all his dear friends.

• Like 1