John Pytlak Illness

John Pytlak RIP

My thoughts and prayers go out to John's family. He was a very knowledgeable man and loved sharing his knowledge with all of us and he did it in such a polite and kind hearted way. He will be sorely missed.

Respectfully,

Jeff

• Premium Member

John was one of the most knowledgeable and generous experts on the film and cinematography forums. He was a professor of film technology. He helped us learn how film emulsions work and how and why film technologies offer many creative possibilities in digital post production. He was motivated to help people learn.

We have learned a lot from John. He will not be forgotten.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Sincerely,

Steve

• Premium Member

I'm very sad to read that John now went away. Even though we all new he had to fight against an awfull desease, it was a shock to know that it happened, likely so soon.

He had the luck to have his family around him and to leave in peace. We all reckon he was a major personality among the industry and this site and yet again he showed us his grandeur telling us about his disease and fight.

I really wish a fundation or something comes up on the idea that was put forth these last weeks.

Also, I was wondering if it was possible to maybe sketch up a book from his contributions on this site. Dominic ? David ?

My sincere thoughts to his family, who John told us about and to Anne who had the courage to come here and tell us the sad news.

Respectfully,

• Premium Member

Making a permanent remiinder of John.

Several weeks ago on this thread there was some talk about trying to arrange an Anual Lecture or reading, at asutable educational insitution or simalar. The discussion did not go far while John was with us, as spreaking of the living as though they were all ready gone is not couth.

Now however while the event is still fresh, might be a good time to put feelers out. My guess as to the most sutable sponsor whoild probaly be #1 the ASC, and #2 the Film lab trade organization. I am miles away from both orgaizations, - the closest I ever expect to get to the ASC is reading American Cinematographer, and as far as film labs, it is sending a few hundred feet of 16mm FIlm a year to be procesed the old fashoned way.

Can any of the members who are really in the industry have a chat with there collegues and see what it would take to get the "John Pytlak Memorial Lecture" off the groud as an event/DVD/webcast aimed at educating all filmmakers, particulaly young filmmakers about up and comming Film/video techniques?

Comments everyone.

• Premium Member

The ASC is not really an organization with the funds for things like that -- we're always looking for sponsors just to fund the events we do have, otherwise, it's supported by the small fees and dues that the members pay, plus whatever the books and magazine brings in. And it's an organization mainly run by its working cinematographers, with a very small office staff to help day-to-day. Think "clubhouse", not a corporation.

You'd need to look to an organization with deeper pockets and a larger administration staff, but it seems to me that the obvious answer is Eastman Kodak, since they already have student programs, etc. The other possibility is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, since they gave John a technical Oscar and do name awards and lecture series after people. Maybe someone on the Sci-Tech committee there should see about naming one of the awards after John.

• Premium Member

Hello, it's Anne again. Thank you so much for all your kind words and sharing of memories. Some have inquired about the arrangements:

John offered his physical body to the University of Rochester anatomical gift program. A memorial Mass will be held at the Church of St. Jerome, 207 South Garfield Street, East Rochester, NY 14445 at noon on Saturday, August 25, 2007.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in John's name to: The George Eastman House, 900 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607.

• Premium Member
Making a permanent remiinder of John.

My guess as to the most sutable sponsor whoild probaly be #1 the ASC, and #2 the Film lab trade organization.

Dominic Case, Steve Klenk of the ACVL, and I had started discussing this by e-mail. The ACVL may be able to fund something. I think we need a group of manageable size to take up the project. I would hope to have someone from the ASC, and a member of the Pytlak family in these discussions. Send me your e-mail address if you'd like to participate.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
The ASC is not really an organization with the funds for things like that -- we're always looking for sponsors just to fund the events we do have, otherwise, it's supported by the small fees and dues that the members pay, plus whatever the books and magazine brings in. And it's an organization mainly run by its working cinematographers, with a very small office staff to help day-to-day. Think "clubhouse", not a corporation.

I was thinking in terms of a "moral" sponsor as opposed to a Finincial one. if an organization with the "moral" lead were to step up, then the finding of Financial sponsors follows along. If the ASC wants to "do something" many commercial firms would step up to participate because of the prestige of the ASC and all it stands for.

Dominic Case, Steve Klenk of the ACVL, and I had started discussing this by e-mail. The ACVL may be able to fund something. I think we need a group of manageable size to take up the project. I would hope to have someone from the ASC, and a member of the Pytlak family in these discussions. Send me your e-mail address if you'd like to participate.

The ACVL would also be a sutable "Moral" sponsor, as a group having an interest in the technology that John is famous for. Things like the LAPD system are film lab bread and butter. As a Cine-Hobby person, all I can do is hope that those talks will be sucessful.

-- J.S.

John, I'd be happy to help if I can, though I've no affiliations with any of the organizations you mention. Email me at karl [dot] borowski [at] case [dot] edu if you feel I can be of any help.

If anyone else is attending the service today, please stop by and say hello. I'll be wearing a black 3-pc. with a teal shirt. Anne, I will be sure to stop by and express my condolences. Once again, my heartfelt sympathies to you and your family in this time of great loss.

~KB