sven nykvist has passed

Matt Sandstrom

I dont know what to say... I was watching "Far From Heaven" then while watching the movie I thought of making a search about Sven Nykvist to read more about his methods. The movie ended I came to my computer and I found out he just died minutes ago.

May your soul rest in peace. Your legacy will live on and inspire thousands...

Guest Tim Partridge

What's to say?

An inspirational, living legend. He never stopped shooting up until his tiny 2000-2006 retirement period (from movies).

My favourite Nykvist quote, that sums up everything great about him (and any great artist) [referenced by Stephen Goldblatt in a 2002 AC]:

"It has taken me thirty years to arrive at simplicity."

• Premium Member

Very sad indeed. However, he was quite ill the last couple of years and was unable to shoot (aphasia), even if he'd have wanted to. We must rejoice in the fact that he lived a rich and full life and achieved more than most cinematographers ever do. Hats off to a legend.

• Premium Member

He was a master of subtle, poetic lighting and also lit women beautifully -- and a great visual storyteller. This would be a good time to revisit his films.

I had just gotten the Criterion "Fanny and Alexander" DVD and watched the behind-the-scenes documentary on it.

• Premium Member

I am very sad to hear this. His work has been a real inspiration to me and I am sure he has inspired many others. I find Winter Light to be one of the most beautifully photographed films EVER. When the trends were to overlight and be stagey, Sven Nykvist kept it simple and elegant. No one made films quite like Nykvist. I can only hope to be a fraction of the cinematographer that Sven Nykvist was.