HD v. Super 16mm

Landon D. Parks

Guest razerfish

Gee, all that money budgeted for other things, but none for a real script?

How do you know if your script is any good? You're the writer, correct? And it's your first real pass at a screenplay? And you're only 16 years old? Odds are that it stinks to high heaven.

Why would you get all those professionals together to make a script that stinks? That will defeat your purpose because the story IS the movie. If it stinks, who cares about how well shot it was? Nobody will end up seeing it.

Tell you what, send me the first 10 pages and I'll give you my impression. If the first 10 pages stink, rest assured that the whole thing stinks. If the first 10 are good, then you're probably on the right track.

Or, if you want, get real studio coverage on the script. It's not free, but it's worth every penny.

If you send it to me, I'll give you my honest opinion. It's not often I see a good script from an amateur screenwriter. I'd say 90% of them write bad scripts, and 100% of first time writers write bad scripts.

Anyway, good luck.

If you do want to get some honest feedback, send it to: greg@1stalliance.net

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're the writer, correct

No. I am not a writer, as you may have noticed from my typing here that im not even Really good a spelling.

I may either option an already existing script, or I may have a writer come up with a new script based on what exist's in my head. But either way, I most certainly will not be writing it myself.

I will certainly revise the script on-set from time to time (As any director does).

I may however adapt a screeplay from a written story. In which case I would write the screenplay myself.

I just don't have a very good mind to come up with stories.

Guest razerfish

Then budget some money for a decent script. Believe me, finding a good script will be the hardest part of your journey.

Without it, you're sunk.

Good luck.

I know this is a dead topic now, But still. After reading an interview today in "How 20 Feature Film Directors got there start" I fell that I have to post this. This is reguarding the whole "Too young to make a movie" thing.:

Interviewer: "Given that you where very young at the time of Production, how did you command the respect of the much older cast and crew?"

----" I never really felt my age was an issue. If you treat people well and you seem to know what your doing then then they are really greatfull and relieved. They are use to working with people who don't know what there doing. People are more concerned rather or not your a decent enough human being, and If you are effecent enough that they will get to go home at a decent hour."

That is an actual, undoctored interview taken from the publication from the interview with either Brett Ratner or Jake Kasdan, I Can't remember.

I think that pretty much sums up what I was saying, that it does not depend so much on age, but of the experiance and compassion you show while on set.

sorry to bring this subject up again, But I felt I needed to post this in my defense. I'm not looking for an argument, because it will be a useless waste of time, and also that you can't argue with facts.

P.S) And still, I have worked with actors that are 20, 30, 50 ,60 and none have ever looked at me like "Why should I trust your vision".

• Premium Member

I hate to say it, but your age is very apparent in some (not all) of your posts, so it's hard to ignore it. The whole point of those quotes is that your age is not much of a factor IF you act professionally and know what you are doing. I agree with that sentiment.

Acting like you know more than you do, lecturing people who know more than you, not listening to people who have more experience than you, expressing strong opinions on things you barely have any experience with, a lack of humility, etc. -- these are all signs of youth (not that many adults don't suffer from this problem!) When you manage to overcome these aspects of your character, I don't think your age will be a problem for you when directing. Your physical age is less of a factor than your level of emotional maturity and your level of professionalism. By the way, I think you are ahead of the majority of young people in this regards but you still have some work to do... but I've seen some improvement on your behalf, here, so I am optimistic. Good luck!

Regarding the Kasdan quote, I don't believe youth has any lack of creativity, but certainly their artistic ideas are different than the ones they will have in later maturity. Personally, some film artists are more interesting in their early stages than their later ones -- the energy of youth, I guess. You can see this excitement in something like "Citizen Kane" or "Sugarland Express" or "400 Blows."

I do agree wth you David. I do agree for sure on the fact that I can sound like a little know it all in some of my post's. I don't mean to do this, It just sorta happends :rolleyes: .

But I personally don't clame to know more than most of you. I would never mean to say that I know more than you guys, because by nature, you have more experiance than me. There is no getting rid of that.

Thanks for the reply David.

Regarding the Kasdan quote, I don't believe youth has any lack of creativity, but certainly their artistic ideas are different than the ones they will have in later maturity. Personally, some film artists are more interesting in their early stages than their later ones -- the energy of youth, I guess. You can see this excitement in something like "Citizen Kane" or "Sugarland Express" or "400 Blows."

Yeah, I agree with you.

• 9 months later...
I do agree wth you David. I do agree for sure on the fact that I can sound like a little know it all in some of my post's. I don't mean to do this, It just sorta happends  :rolleyes: .

But I personally don't clame to know more than most of you. I would never mean to say that I know more than you guys, because by nature, you have more experiance than me. There is no getting rid of that.

Thanks for the reply David.

Yeah, I agree with you.

hi Landon D. Parks

And hi to all the wonderful DPs out there. I'm not a DP but have something to say to Landon.

I personally know how you feel. I had a crazy obsession with film since i was like 12. Unfortunately people are very judgemental in out society and beying a 16 year old, your main obsticle is communication. Now i'm not saying that you dont know how to talk. actually, you seem very impressing, but when you are on set, you become the puppet master and actors will come up to you and ask you what you want. You need to be on top of it all and you neet to gain respect othervise you might face disaster. Find out what George Lucas faced while making star wars.

If you dont know how to put your foot down, convince people and hold respect while doing so, you will hate the whole production process. I understand your Ambition and am happy that you are so determined because you remind me of myself but I strongly advise you do take $1000 and make 2 10 min films the best way you possibly can. How can you efficiently spen that money and make the best film possible. Then you will learn what happens on set. All the disagreements, cheaos, and torture. After that you will know how to avoid Bull shi*. Only then can you proceed with your feature. But try not to spend your own money. if your screenplay is so good that you are willing to spend all that money then it should be good enough to obtain investors or get people interested. (do you have the screenplay done and analyzed yet?) Then you will impress people with your great talent of talking and convincing, show them the story, storyboards etc. and impress the hell out of them and then you will go out and shoot 2 scenes of your feature film and present it to them on a big screen. If everyone loves you after this and throws money at you than youre set. Go get your film made and dont stop. My best advice right now is for you to go out and find a working producer or director and flatter them with your ambition. Convince them to take you under their wing. You will learn so much, your head will spin.

This is the way I would have done it since i learned in tougher ways and spent thousands in film school.

Do you have this script yet? Because if you dont then i fear dissapointment comming from your way. I'm a working screenwriter and have ties with big time investors businessmen. THe people i know are friends with Steven Spielberg. and I get phone calls constantly asking when will the new script be finished. People came to me because I obtained the great talent of convincing talk and my scripts just about guarantee commercial profit.

So please Get the great script first, talent of convincing talking and dont worry about the money. if you got the other two, the money and everyone else will come to you. Then come to toe internet and tell people your plans. otherwise you are just dreaming like everyone else.

Dont go up the ladder. thats for people with no ambition and low self confidence

But use your talents well and tak wise risk not stupid risk

Guest jeremy edge

Hey Landon,

I've been curious to see what you will do and I think the choice of s16 is a good one. Do me a favor and do some tests though.Im not saying do 10 short films first or anything...just get about 400 feet(at least) and try to find a good deal on a one light transfer.Then go through some scenarios lighting wise....lens choices etc.

If you read any of David's in production logs ...you'll see that even pro dp's do tests when using new equipment or film stocks .To see what they like and what fits for that application.Super 16 can look great or it can look real rough and gritty.It's more delicate than 35mm.

I'm not saying you're going to totally botch this....just that you might go back and say"I should have used this lens instead or I should have used a faster stock or a daylight stock or any number of factors.It's a lot different than shooting video.If you are too confident...you could end up with thousands of feet of improperly exposed film or worse.

You cant use others results as your reference.Do some quick shooting and see if you can get the results that you want to see.When you have that look nailed with the right stock ,lighting and technique....Just apply that to your much larger project.

Plus showing some tests to investors and people you are working with will boost their confidence in you that you can create the look you describe.

Good Luck!!!