Noob Needs Help.

Tom Mead

I know you pros hate a general "help me" plea, but I just have a few questions.

1. I want a Canon XL something. Should I go with the H1 (even though I broadcast in SD only)?

2. I want 3 Canon XL somethings. What should I do (with a non-linear post facility) about the SMTPE timecodes?

3. Is the XL the BEST bang for your buck? I honestly (although it is a small and pointless argument) would prefer a shoulder-resting camera for stability's sake. Am I wrong to think that and why?

Any help is better than none.

Thanks,

Tom Mead.

I'm of the opinion that if you are planning to stay in SD and if you want multiple XL-somethings, then stay with the XL2. However, if you have deep pockets and the time to learn HDV (shooting HD is neither as easy nor as forgiving as SD), then go for it.

As far as shoulder stability goes, I've read untold numbers of shooters who complain about the XLs and their being too "nose-heavy." I've been shooting with them for over 6 years and had no problems with stability that was out of the ordinary.

Edited by Jay Gladwell

Ah, thanks. I felt both the XLH1 and the XL2 and they didn't feel nose-heavy, or heavy at all for that matter. I think I will stay in SD just because of the fact that I'm new to the industry and I have a lot of room to become better before I will need HD.

Thanks for the replies!

Tom.

XL2 / H1

I'm using them both, XL2 for an outdoor TV show, and the H1 in high-end weddings. I recommend you get what your clients are asking for. The nice thing about starting with the XL2 is that you can cover the lower end productions well. The HD is not in high demand as most people think, due to the cost of post-production. If you have the RAM and Hard Drive space, then the H1 would be a great start because you can still shoot SD with it. Also, when using the MA-300 adapter, you can kick 4 lines of audio (I use this). And another bonus is that I can really load the cameras up with gear and balance them easily on the steadicams.

Let me know how it goes. I'm a huge fan of the XL cams. B)

~ Sampson Rolen

Timeless Media Inc

• 1 month later...

Just got my XL2 and love it. The XLH1 seems a bit steep for the market; but I feel stongly about Canon quality - although I feel at this point you should have very specific reasons for shooting HD. The XL2 is a bit front heavy; but I don't see myself shoulder-mounting much. Decent tripod for most shots and a Manfrotto Fig Rig for walking shots (which does get a little heavy, but looks good).

Thanks guys! Bought an XL2 and love it. Decided against the H1 for only a basic reason: cash. Now, granted HD would be nice and give the production a much more lifelike feel, at the same time, I think you can achieve a very lifelike feel if you know what you're doing with SD. The physics are the same, just higher quality and before I assume I know enough to buy HD, I think I'll try the SD. Thanks for all the input!

Tom.