My sony HDV firewire doesnt work

bdox

i got a sony hdv cam and since yesterday my firewire port doesnt, i am tryng to import some dv footage on through final cut pro but the cam doesnt get regonize, and the same in imovie or even on a pc with windows movie maker, i already reset the cam but still it doesnt,

do somebody here got the same problem with there sony fx1, or is this weird

(sorry for my flat english i am from the netherlands)

thank u

• Premium Member
i got a sony hdv cam and since yesterday my firewire port doesnt, i am tryng to import some dv footage on through final cut pro but the cam doesnt get regonize, and the same in imovie or even on a pc with windows movie maker, i already reset the cam but still it doesnt,

do somebody here got the same problem with there sony fx1, or is this weird

(sorry for my flat english i am from the netherlands)

thank u

One thing that frequently happens, if the computer is ON when you connect the firewire, it sends a small jolt of power that fries the firewire port in your camera. First, check to make sure your capture settings are correct. If they are, you may have a fried firewire port.

Just to expand on that:

Make sure that your camera is set to the output format you want to capture/edit with - which is of course based on the settings that you shot with.

You should find it in the menu of the camera.

There should be a light where you connect the Firewire on the cam that tells you the mode it's in. If you're importing DV it should have the light on DV and if it's HDV then the light should be in HDV.

If all your settings are correct and still nothing.

You should think about cashing in on the warranty.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's make this check:

1) Is your 1394 input working properly on your computer?

2) What happens when you power your camera with the firewire cable connected? In XP it sounds a beep and automatically opens a window on what you want to do. I am not familiar with the Mac on that.

3) Is your firewire cable fine? Have you tried another cable? Can you try another camera with the cable and see what happens?

• 4 months later...
Let's make this check:

1) Is your 1394 input working properly on your computer?

2) What happens when you power your camera with the firewire cable connected? In XP it sounds a beep and automatically opens a window on what you want to do. I am not familiar with the Mac on that.

3) Is your firewire cable fine? Have you tried another cable? Can you try another camera with the cable and see what happens?

i've tryd all kinda computers still, firewire just don't work any more

do u guyz think that sony can replace this

peace

i've tryd all kinda computers still, firewire just don't work any more

I am very sorry to hear that. Apparently there's a routine to connect 1394 terminals to a computer, so there won't be any live potential that may fry the computer firewire or the camera's. Best thing is to connect them with their respective powers off.

The other way is to intertouch the ground metals first, so the eventual potential is discharged. Then you plug it in.

The third way, which I am implementing myself, is buying a firewire isolator, which should prevent such accidents happening.

do u guyz think that sony can replace this peace

Apparently they do. It may hurt your pocket, but I think it could solve the problem. Why don't you call them?

• 4 weeks later...

Read the manual. I think the computer has to be connected first because it has the ground to the wall. If not, static electricity can build up and fry you camera if you plug it in first.

Also, there is a distinct order items must be plugged in. This is after the settings are set correctly. Just read the manual and it will explain everything.

Also, make sure the info in the computer is readable to the camera.

Don't think static electricity can fry your camera? Lighting is static electricity.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I know this may seem obvious, However make sure that the Down coversion to DV output is not activated in the menu. As if your capturing in HDV and your down conversion is set to on. It will not see the camera as it's expecting an HD signal and when set to on it will send a DV source. This has happened to met several times. So if your capturing in HDV make sure your camera is set to down covert OFF, if capturing in DV turn the Down convert on.

Hope this helps!

J.D.