Arriflex s repair

james donovan

• Premium Member

I cannot vouch for these folks one way or the other, but they do sell quite a few Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras, and they are located in London. If they don't service the cameras themselves, they may be able to tell you who can do it locally.

Film Camera Kit.Com

If you decide to send the camera Stateside for service, we are the only shop that uses all the original ARRI lubricants on the camera, and we set the camera back to original factory specs. You can check us out at:

Arri16S.com

Hope that helps,

-Tim

I cannot vouch for these folks one way or the other, but they do sell quite a few Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras, and they are located in London. If they don't service the cameras themselves, they may be able to tell you who can do it locally.

Film Camera Kit.Com

If you decide to send the camera Stateside for service, we are the only shop that uses all the original ARRI lubricants on the camera, and we set the camera back to original factory specs. You can check us out at:

Arri16S.com

Hope that helps,

-Tim

Thanks for that Tim, I am talking with them about it. I stumbled across your site the other day, and it's the best one I have found for the Arri s (the only one?)

I am just weighing up the possibility of getting one from Hungary, Ebay. I know it sounds completely ubsurd; the camera looks quite beat up - but at $500 for a complete kit...? What do you think, should I simply hold out and save for a decent one?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Depends on what you are looking for. If you just want to own an Arriflex 16S, then go with the cheapest option. But if you want to use the camera on a regular basis for shooting, you need to be alot more careful. If you are in the London area, have you checked out the packages Film Camera Kit is selling? Not sure what prices they have, but if I remember correctly, their camera packages come with a warranty.

To really get the best out of an Arriflex 16S, being that the cameras are anywhere from thirty five to over fifty years old, and being that you probably will not have any record of the service history of the camera, you really need to have the camera overhauled and set back to factory specs. You would not believe how many cameras come in our door way out of spec. If you just slap a lens on one of these camera and go out shooting, you will get images that are soft, possibly streaked, and if the movement is out of adjustment you will see registration problems and possibly weave. The great thing about the cameras is that once overhauled and set back to factory spec, with the right glass, they will make fantastic images for many years to come. Get an Arriflex 16S/B and you can use Zeiss Super Speed I lenses, which will give you the same 16mm images as you could get with those lenses and an Arriflex 16SR or SRII, or an Aaton LTR7 or LTR54, cameras that cost many times more than the little 16S.

My point is, an overhaul will run you anywhere from about $600 to $1000, depending on who does the overhaul for you and what issues the particular camera has. When you factor in this cost, maybe the camera packages from a place like Film Camera Kit, or Visual Products here in the States, is a good deal if it comes with a warranty and has been overhauled by them before they sell it. As I mentioned above, I have never dealt with Film Camera Kit, so I do not know anything about the cameras they sell, you could ask them if the cameras have had a complete overhaul. I know the cameras that Visual Products sells have been completely overhauled and come with a six month warranty.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

I work in the same building as FilmCameraKit.com, and have known Alex Freer who runs it for years. His camera technician worked for Arriflex in the service department for many years and knows what he's doing. As far as I am aware pretty much all the cameras are serviced and overhauled before being put on sale, but you should check this with Alex - give him a call.

• 4 years later...

I work in the same building as FilmCameraKit.com, and have known Alex Freer who runs it for years. His camera technician worked for Arriflex in the service department for many years and knows what he's doing. As far as I am aware pretty much all the cameras are serviced and overhauled before being put on sale, but you should check this with Alex - give him a call.

Hi.

The Arri16s.com website its not working.

Does anybody have the contact?

Thanks,

Flavio

Hi.

The Arri16s.com website its not working.

Does anybody have the contact?

Thanks,

Flavio

Also, I will probably leave my 2 Arriflex S kit at Camerakit.com, as I heard great recommendations from a professional.

And I spoke to Alex there, the guy was really attentious to my problems and gave precious advice.

Ta,

F