Fuji Eterna 400T

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

I've shot it many times. It's a very nice stock - one of my favourites. But it's hard to judge stocks when you go to telecine, every stock tends to look good there.

As an example, the Shawn Emanuel video on my website was shot on it. Pretty straighforward shooting for any stock, but there's a section in the video where I only used a row of chasing Mac 500 articulated spots in the background. Exposure in such conditions is a bit of crap shoot and you just have to settle on a T-number that feels right and go with it, since you can't measure for the light nor the shadows. As you can see the stock showed plenty of un-grainy detail in the faces of some of the girls, even though they weren't lit at all (just used a ssmall bounce card) and quite severly underexposed.

http://www.adamfrisch.com/music/index.html

I've shot it many times. It's a very nice stock - one of my favourites. But it's hard to judge stocks when you go to telecine, every stock tends to look good there.

As an example, the Shawn Emanuel video on my website was shot on it. Pretty straighforward shooting for any stock, but there's a section in the video where I only used a row of chasing Mac 500 articulated spots in the background. Exposure in such conditions is a bit of crap shoot and you just have to settle on a T-number that feels right and go with it, since you can't measure for the light nor the shadows. As you can see the stock showed plenty of un-grainy detail in the faces of some of the girls, even though they weren't lit at all (just used a ssmall bounce card) and quite severly underexposed.

http://www.adamfrisch.com/music/index.html

Hi Adam:

Beautiful looking video. Really nice work... I assume you shot 35mm? I only ask because I know a lot of music videos are shot on super 16 these days. Is this the new Eterna stock, by the way?

Thanks,

--Bragi

• Premium Member

Thank you very much. Yes, it was 35mm and the new Eterna. The choice of spending it on 35mm did however reduce our shooting ratio quite considerably, and given the time restraints, I feel the end product could have used some more set-ups and shots. C'est la vie. :)