horrible gain, need help!

Adam j Kennedy

hi, i recently did a shoot using the sony z1u, it is a somewhat dim scene... the subject was lit at a f4... i hate grainy footage, who doesnt, so before the shoot i turned the gain switch to off on the side of the camera and used manual controls, but when i got home the footage was all grainy and not just in the dark areas...

to other z1 users, is there some automatic gain override that i need to turn off, do i have to go into the menu's and turn off some gain override control to get completely gain free footage. i really like the picture and colors of this camera but something is not right when areas of my shots are crawling...

has anybody else had this problem...

i will try to post a screenshot to show you guys what im talking about...

thanks,

adam k.

• Premium Member

If you want to set the gain to 0dB then first you need to move the AUTO LOCK switch to center position, then you must activate manual gain control by pressing the GAIN button (the gain value will appear on the screen) and select the GAIN SELECTOR to L position. You also need to assign the gain level for the L position in GAIN SETUP itme of CAMERA SETUP menu - default setting for the L position is 0dB.

Also make sure that you did not activate the HyperGain function (+36 dB) - but then the noise is clearly visible on the screen.

(all this can be found in operating instructions booklet, page 30 I think)