SI Forum anyone?

Marty Hamrick

• Premium Member
Is anyone else interested in another forum put on this site pertaining to Silicon Imaging's efforts in the world of HD cinema?The SI-1920 looks pretty sweet.

What a bizaar idea. a subforum for a camera that actually exists? crazy. just crazy.

What a bizaar idea. a subforum for a camera that actually exists? crazy. just crazy.

Nothing to argue about if it exists... only how do you get the best out of it.

No way as interesting as the non existent.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

I wouldn't exactly call the Mini "available." There are a couple of beta-test model cameras travelling around and these are what are being used on productions. SI is still developing their products everyday and they'll soon be to market with some very exciting product, but you can't buy one today.

I'm under NDA but I can say that I'm happy with what I've seen and know, both about the products and the company's attitude in listening to informed opinions about design improvements.

I wouldn't exactly call the Mini "available." There are a couple of beta-test model cameras travelling around and these are what are being used on productions. SI is still developing their products everyday and they'll soon be to market with some very exciting product, but you can't buy one today.

That could indeed be the reality of "available", I repeated what was said by Steve Nordhauser from Silicon Imaging over on DVInfo. He also said that the full camera would be available early November.

Because of some new features compared to the prototype, perhaps SI will beta test the production camera on some shoots before you can actually purchase the camera on the market. With all the competition, I suspect they'll want to get it out pretty well bug free. Certainly, worth checking with SI if anyone has a production in the near future that this camera might be suitable for.

Yes, they seemed to have been using different camera mounting techniques using the Mini and 16mm lenses on "Spoon". RED's size make it appear pretty conventional by comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, it's the other way around, as the SI camera actually exists. When RED is available it will be the competition.

:D

We'll see who will the competition be? Mr. Jannard has more than 700 orders... And the SI camera? How many? Around 1-2% or less than that? :o

Good luck anyways! :)

• Premium Member
:D

We'll see who will the competition be? Mr. Jannard has more than 700 orders... And the SI camera? How many? Around 1-2% or less than that? :o

Good luck anyways! :)

Patrizio,

As the deposits are fully refundable, that does not guarantee 700 sales.

Stephen

NDAs forbid me from saying much, other than noting that the vast amount of misinformation out there about these cameras and businesses is stunning.

SI will make some announcements at HD Expo, and I believe RED will be represented as well. I've seen some material from RED and know a bit about it, but there is currently an SI camera sitting on my desk.

If both manufacturers can deliver on all or even most of what they say they will then the current pre-orders for both will be just a drop in the bucket.

• Premium Member
It's true but with these estimate numbers there will surely be more than 700 sales.

Hi,

If only business was that simple! It's not clear how many of those 700 customers have cash or finance available to buy, not just a camera body but a usable system.

As people have been allocated serial no's it will be very difficult to count how many cameras have actually been made.

SI may start delivering cameras before RED, and at a lower price point.

Stephen

SI may start delivering cameras before RED, and at a lower price point.

Stephen

SI has already started delivering cameras. These are "early adopter" models, meaning that the customers are getting prototypes and are receiveing free hardware and software upgrades as the devices continue developement. But they are in fact out there and working right now.

SI has already started delivering cameras. These are "early adopter" models, meaning that the customers are getting prototypes and are receiveing free hardware and software upgrades as the devices continue developement. But they are in fact out there and working right now.

Whoa, didn't see this thread!

Yes, Mitch is right, we have cameras out the in the field right now as beta-testing units for early adopters. These are people who are willing to go through the beta-testing cycle with us (and it's pains), and have presented comprehensive plans for what they will be shooting . . . i.e., Steve and Ari are approving beta-testing on a per-project basis with the resulting hope that we learn a lot, fine-tune the workflow, and nix any bugs. These are not "general-use/sale" cameras going out. But those are coming soon . . .

I can't say exactly what we will announce on Nov 2nd at HD-Expo, but please don't come with the expectation that you will be able to walk away with a camera :) We will be making announcements though pertaining to shipment, so we're not going to be leaving anyone in the dark.

And remember I said "announcements" . . . that means more than one! ;) We've been pretty quiet lately, but Nov. is shaping up to be a "louder" month.

Again, sorry for the vaugeness of my post, there's a whole lot I can't talk about just yet, but suffice to say, we're listening and things are rolling along very nicely. The input of people like Mitch/Abel Cine and the other beta testers is invaluable, and we feel that the best way to get a working camera on the market is to field test it, get it in the hands of people who are ready with productions, and make sure that everything works the way it should.

Silicon Imaging will surely participate in a dedicated Forum and answer any inquiries that may be posted.

As Jason mentioned, we will be making several announcements at HD Expo. We will demonstrating and operating the new products in the Adobe booth (nice to have partners :D ).

We are also putting together some final arrangements to provide exclusive showings and hands-on time for the new products the day after the show (Friday Nov 3) at Abel CineTech in Burbank. If you are interested in scheduling a meeting with us, just drop me an email at ari@siliconimaging.com.

Here are some photos of the Mini from Geoff Boyle on the set of Mutant Chronicles:

http://siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Im...d%20Dan%203.jpg

http://siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Im...0and%20Phil.jpg

http://siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Im...d%20Dan%202.jpg

Here is one of my favorite pics from the "Spoon" set.

_MG_3445%20copy.jpg

If someone is new to this you can see many more pics and 'spoon' blog story at http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com