Hard Plates

Jamie Metzger

• Premium Member

No, since they are designed to be used with the equivalent focal length. The only exception is when shooting lenses wide open and you can see that the matte covers part of the front element. Even if it is not in shot (as it is designed to be) the matte can still cut some light that would reach the film otherwise and you will get a darker image.

The other thing to look out for is how it affects the bokeh, i.e. out of focus highlights, mostly when shooting wide open. Instead of being circular they can take the rectangular shape of the matte. I have a feeling that these two issues are related by the way.

No, since they are designed to be used with the equivalent focal length. The only exception is when shooting lenses wide open and you can see that the matte covers part of the front element. Even if it is not in shot (as it is designed to be) the matte can still cut some light that would reach the film otherwise and you will get a darker image.

The other thing to look out for is how it affects the bokeh, i.e. out of focus highlights, mostly when shooting wide open. Instead of being circular they can take the rectangular shape of the matte. I have a feeling that these two issues are related by the way.

I thought that it was a given that I wasn't going to use a 50mm hardplate with an 18mm lens.

I can see what you are saying about the underexposed light, but do you have any viable concerns for using them regularly?

Apart from what Max said, there are practical reasons as well. Eyebrows and sideflaps can easily be adjusted to a wide range of focal length while hardmattes have to be pulled out of the case, exchanged and the old one put back in the case. I only use the hardmatte when there's no other way.

• Premium Member

What I meant was that even with the correct matte (i.e. the matte itself doesn't appear in shot) it might still cover the front element which can be a problem.

But otherwise it's always a good idea to use mattes, there are people who insist on using them all the time. It's really quite fast, whenever the 2nd gets a lens he just brings the correct matte along. Except if you are using Zeiss Master Primes obvioulsy, since the bloody things don't flare even if you want them to!

What I meant was that even with the correct matte (i.e. the matte itself doesn't appear in shot) it might still cover the front element which can be a problem.

But otherwise it's always a good idea to use mattes, there are people who insist on using them all the time. It's really quite fast, whenever the 2nd gets a lens he just brings the correct matte along. Except if you are using Zeiss Master Primes obvioulsy, since the bloody things don't flare even if you want them to!

I got that right. It can happen that the matte acts like a second iris in front of the lens taking away some light.

Off topic: other than in your avatar, do you wear glasses and some kind of mullet in real life?

Sorry for the mullet thing. At Cinec some guy wearing glasses, a special haircut, a striped sweater and a brown leather jacket and me gave each other a stupid look and i got the feeling i know the guy from some shooting and that he's from Luxemburg. i thought it could have been you.

'Special haircut' sounds much better than mullet or Vokuhila, thank you very much ;)

That probbaly was me then, the striped sweater is a dead give away. But have you ever worked in Luxembourg?

You're welcome :)

Not once. I've shot two commercials in the UK though, but that wasn't with local crew. At the moment i really can't tell what sparked the idea.

Btw: i was standing in the white tent across the second main entrance and if you recognized a pretty loud quad with steadycam hardmount, i was sitting in front with a CMotion in my hands.