Panasonic HDX900

Lee Dashiell

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and thought that I would chime in. We just took possession of our new Panasonic HDX900 and I would be gald to share any info we have with it. Will there be a Subtopic for HDX900 or should we post this info here in the Varicam section?

We are currently working on several set-up settings for the HDX900 that we will be gald to share if anyone is interested.

• Premium Member

There probably will be a subforum dedicated to the HDX, but up to now, there haven't been a lot of them floating around.

I would be curious as to what you think of the camera after some testing. My company is considering buying one. I'm assuming it is between the SDX900 and Varicam both of which we use frequently. 1080p would be a welcome addition.

Anywho, welcome to the forum!

Edited by Chad Stockfleth

There probably will be a subforum dedicated to the HDX, but up to now, there haven't been a lot of them floating around.

I would be curious as to what you think of the camera after some testing. My company is considering buying one. I'm assuming it is between the SDX900 and Varicam both of which we use frequently. 1080p would be a welcome addition.

Anywho, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome.....I didn't want to highjack the Varicam thread, but there didn't seem to be a home for the HDX900.

We've had cameras going in different directions for the last few weeks so we have yet to do any side by side comparisons, however the HDX900 looks fantastic. The day we received it was the first time I had it in my hand so I wasn't sure what to expect. I used it on a shoot last week and certainly didn't have any complaints. It does use the medium sized tapes and shoots 33 minutes on a 66 min tape. One small thing I did appreciate was a selectable output that delivered SD composite out rather than all HDSDI. I was able to pop the HDX on a CamMate Crane and use the standard def field monitor without switching to a HD monitor. I was the only person looking at the crane monitor and it was mearly a reference so it didn't bother me. It just made it easier. I think that the pricepoint vs. over all value is excellent. We've been using a HJ-11 Canon wide angle lens with the HDX900 and it seems to be a great package. I haven't even recorded anything in 1080i. We did create some warm rich film setups that I'll share.

• Premium Member

That's great to be able to use the SD monitors without a downconverter. I look forward to seeing your shots.

We recently got an HVX200 which has been a fun little camera to play with. Definitely makes for an interesting workflow. We go out of town on some jobs where we have to edit in the field or turn something around overnight so it is perfect for those applications. In fact, we are going to LA in a couple weeks to do just that.

If you have any interest, check out our website at www.videobred.com

Needs to be updated IMO, but I'm not in charge of that ;-)

Here is a Warm Rich scene file for the HDX900. Just copy and paste to a SD card and load into your HDX 900.

Here are a few HDX900 Scene files if you don't have any. Just copy and paste onto a SD card and load them onto your HDX900. They will not work with any other camera. Enjoy!!

SCENE_F8.TXT

SCENE_F6.TXT

SCENE_F5.TXT

Edited by Lee Dashiell

• 1 month later...

We just posted more scene file on our site. Feel free to download them if you think that they will work for you. It would be nice to see some other people share their settings as well. We'll all do better sharing these file rather than keeping them private.

http://www.hdx900crew.com/hdx900_settings

Lee Dashiell

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Here is a Warm Rich scene file for the HDX900. Just copy and paste to a SD card and load into your HDX 900.

Here are a few HDX900 Scene files if you don't have any. Just copy and paste onto a SD card and load them onto your HDX900. They will not work with any other camera. Enjoy!!

How do I load these file numbers into the camera or an SD card

excuse my stupidity

Thanks

Mark

• 1 month later...

I should have elaborated: I'm shooting a dramatic short next month. The whole thing is at 24p, except for 3 flashbacks. For a slow motion effect, can I shoot in the 50p mode, and then be able to edit the 50p footage in the same timeline as everything else? (Of course the 50p footage will be recorded on its own tape.) Also, can I have an in camera 270 degree shutter, in 24p??? Or should I just ask for the Varicam? I don't need a wide range of different speeds. In fact, it's just the two, 24 and 50. The budget is tight, as always. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I am not too sure about shooting 50p and creating a slowmotion effect in editing, though I am fairly sure that it wont work like the Varicam. It was never built to compete with the Varicam, So I know it wouldn't be as fluid if the frame-rate was converted. If i remember correctly the HDX shoots progressive differently (some one correct me if Im wrong) than the Varicam. As for the shutter angle question, Yes, the sychro-scan is adjustable up to your desired angles.

I stand corrected. Thats actually good to know, Ive been meaning to test that out with the hdx, i had access to the HD1400 and should have done a test of my own... So much for listening to word of mouth, tends to turn out the like the game of Telephone... Mitch, is there really difference? as far as progressive capturing? Or am I just listening to wrong people?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Are there any HMI flicker issues associated w/ changing the "shutter angle" or "shutter speed" w/ these cameras?

Yes, of course. The same frame rate and shutter angle will do the same thing with HMI, no matter what the cameras are.

-- J.S.

• 3 weeks later...
The same frame rate and shutter angle will do the same thing with HMI, no matter what the cameras are.

I know this sounds very amateur (I'm a student so I am), but can you explain this a bit further? I haven't even had a chance to work with cameras that allow adjustments to the shutter angle.

• Premium Member
I know this sounds very amateur (I'm a student so I am), but can you explain this a bit further? I haven't even had a chance to work with cameras that allow adjustments to the shutter angle.

Chances are you have, but didn't realize it. Changing the shutterspeed in a video camera is changing the effective shutter angle.

Shutter angle

Shutter Speed

Almost all video cameras allow you to change the shutterspeed; some at very fine frequencies with a control called "Clearscan" (Sony) or "Synchroscan" (Panasonic). Video cameras that allow you to shoot at variable frame rates (like the Varicam and the HVX200) also allow you to control shutterspeed by changing the shutterangle. Of course it's not a "real" shutter angle since these cameras don't have moving shutters, but rather an electronic equivalent. The big difference here is that just like a film camera, the shutterspeed changes or "tracks" along with the change in frame rate. In other words, a 180 shutterangle at 24fps gives a shutterspeed of 1/48 second; but at 60 fps gives a shutterspeed of 1/120 second.

HMI lights "pulse" at a frequency that's twice that of the power supply, so you need to shoot with a shutterspeed that captures a constant number of pulses each frame to avoid visible flicker in your footage.

HMI-safe frame rates