HD/SDI?

Amber Butler

I am new to cinematography; I've been doing silly amateur work since I was allowed to touch the family video camera (an old 10 pound VHS monstrosity) at about 6 years old. I have always wanted to do documentary work but there is NOTHING where I live in the way of classes, etc. I know a lot about photography but not much about cinematography.

So I'm trying to do as much research as I can (please, if you have any good websites or materials, let me know, I live in an engineering town and there are no resources here.)

I was looking at the Canon XL-H1 (and have been since it came out). I know what HD-SDI is (by that I mean, I have a general understanding that it is the standard by which uncompressed data is transmitted) but have no idea how that is applicable.

How does an HD-SDI output work? Do you hook it up to something that records the uncompressed video? What kind of standards can you record in? Can you record film quality? Broadcast quality? (Is there a difference?)

Thank you!

Amber

Hi Amber,

To capture uncompressed video through SDI you would need either a KONA or BlackMagic capture card. However, having the capture card is not all that you need.

You will also need a pretty fast computer, and SCSI / Raid system for storge.

This is because the uncompressed video data rate is quite large.

Check out these sites for info:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/d...l.asp?techID=62

http://www.digistor.com.au/content.php?s=5&p=76

The second link also shows you the different formats (in terms of colors space) that is available for capturing.

However, as David says, the camera you use will dictate the quality of your picture.

The Canon HDV is still HDV with a color space of 4:2:0 and an Mpeg2 Compression, so even if you were to capture your HDV footage recorded on tape through SDI you would still be originating from a highly compressed 4:2:0 material.

You would still be able to transfer this to film though if you wanted and definitely would definitely be broadcast safe.

@ David Mullen

I've heard of people who use the canon and capture directly to their hard drives on the set through SDI on their uncompressed video cards, bypassing recording to tape in HDV.

Hmmmm, does this mean they are able to get a 4:2:2 uncompressed signal from the canon?

Sounds interesting.

Although your mobility would be hampered - you'd be practically getting an HD camera for a fraction of the cost, if it is capable of getting uncompressed 4:2:2.

Anyone tried this yet?

Edited by Markford Astina

• Premium Member
II was looking at the Canon XL-H1 (and have been since it came out).

Thank you!

Amber

Laurie Gilbert, SOC used an XL-H1 on a pro-bono gig for an actress friend of his on a Canon sponsored gig she directed and hated the camera. Laurie plays in a pretty special world and usually uses cameras like Cinealta's so he obviously doesn't use prosumer gear but it's informative to know what the pros think of a given piece of gear.

There's a contact link for Laurie at: http://www.ukscreen.com/crew/laurie

• Premium Member

Hi,

The XLH1, out of the box, produces the sharpest images of the current crop of semi-reasonable HDV cameras. Ergonomically it's as horrible as anything else of that type.

I suspect, and I hope soon to find out, that the HD100 with better optics could compete.

Phil

Hi,

The XLH1, out of the box, produces the sharpest images of the current crop of semi-reasonable HDV cameras. Ergonomically it's as horrible as anything else of that type.

I suspect, and I hope soon to find out, that the HD100 with better optics could compete.

Phil

I believe that there soon will be 6 lenses available for the HD 100 series of cameras, not counting the 16mm lens adapter (which I don't think anyone yet has tested).

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to someone this weekend who used the HD250 camera and was very impressed

Does anyone have any more info on portable products that could store the HD_SDI output from this camera.

I assume the SRW1 could do it but it is a little expensive :)

Any other kit - even if it takes SD instead of HD (as long as it has no DV conversion)?

thanks

Rolfe