Follow focus for Arri SRI

Elliot Rudmann

I will be shooting a student film in a few weeks and have access to an Arri SRI cam. We were going to rent a follow focus unit + a rod support system for it, however I've been told that an SRI will not support a follow focus, unlike its upgrades, the SRII, and III. I have tried to find links on the internet about this, but have had no luck. Anybody know what the deal is? Thanks.

• Premium Member

Boy that information is way wrong. I am selling a set of lightweight rods for the SR1 right now on eBay. They are pictured below. You put them on the front of the camera, and use the ARRI lightweight follow focus, and there is no problem. You need to make sure you have focus gears on your lenses, but otherwise, no problem.

You can use rods like the ones below, which are usually referred to as 15mm rods, or lightweight rods, and the ARRI lightweight follow focus works with them and the Chrosziel unit, as well as many others.

You can also get a baseplate to put on the SR1 and use the "19mm" rods, and then you use the full size follow focus unit that ARRI makes or one of the others out there.

-Tim

eBayRods.jpg