Shooting on a sunny day for a cloudy day

I'm shooting a short horror picture which takes place outside in farm lands and want a cold and muted look. I would prefer a heavy overcast day, however the weather channel is promising sun.

This is a low budget project. Many of us are film student or recent grads. Which means that our gear is limited.

So, should I try and stay close to the actors, throw some diffusion over them and try to create that soft overcast look? Or should I work with the sun, and make it contrasty to give it the edge a horror film requires.

I'm leaning towards working it as a sunny day and making it contrasty. Any suggestions?

Any info helps...Thanks!

blocking or diffusing the sun on the subjects only works if you can find a background that's in the shade. if you can throw it out of focus it's not as critical but it can't really be fully sunlit. a blue sky will kill the illusion so try and blow it out. and of course make everything a little blue.

i wouldn't shoot it sunny if that's not what the script calls for. better a bad illusion than the complete wrong emotion in my opinion. ask the director though. not all will agree with me.

/matt

• Premium Member

:o

I'm shooting a short horror picture which takes place outside in farm lands and want a cold and muted look. I would prefer a heavy overcast day, however the weather channel is promising sun.

This is a low budget project. Many of us are film student or recent grads. Which means that our gear is limited.

So, should I try and stay close to the actors, throw some diffusion over them and try to create that soft overcast look? Or should I work with the sun, and make it contrasty to give it the edge a horror film requires.

I'm leaning towards working it as a sunny day and making it contrasty. Any suggestions?

Any info helps...Thanks!

If you want Cold and Muted look then surely going with the sun will not do.

You could shoot in the shade making sure direct sun does not illuminate your bacground. Adding light degree of Wratten Cyan would make it look coder. :o

• Premium Member

Any info helps...Thanks!

Where exactly will you be shooting? If you will be shooting in a shady area, you could probably fly silks (or shower curtains ;)) over smallish areas and help it lookovercast, depending on your background. Pulling and/or flashing the film can help you achieve a lower contrast.