Arri S 12v vari motor question

Sean Charlesworth

I have a newer S motor which is similar to the tobin motors and wanted to know if I can run it at 12v. It's marked as the A 16 HME and has a f/r toggle switch like the tobin and a ring on the very back to adjust speed rather than the whole barrel moving. Also has a power transistor on it. I know you can run the old-style at 12 but was hesitant to try this since it's more 'electronic'.

Thanks,

Sean

Edited by Count Spatula

• Premium Member

Boy, that is really interesting. I have never seen a transistor on the variable speed motor because from my understanding (and from my discussions with the folks at ARRI) the transistor was just to keep the arcing to a minimum on the governor contacts of the constant speed motor. Not sure why they would put one on a variable speed motor because it doesn't have a governor. Maybe it just makes the brushes last longer by keeping the arcing down on them.

Sorry, but I don't have any information on that motor. You might want to call the folks at ARRI INC in New York or Burbank and ask them about it.

-Tim

Guest Robert Skates

Sean,

Your motor is only the second example of that type that I've seen. I bought an Arri S a few years back that had that type of motor. I have a sales catalog from the early 80's. The catalog is from Victor Duncan a rental/sales company. This book containes info abount neary every camera, motor, lens, etc that was available at that time(1980). There is no mention your type of motor. The book even has info about the Arri SB with apec door and Jensen 24fps Xtal motor. If you find out anything about your rare bird please share what you learn.

Robert

Sean,

I have what I think is the last sales brochure for the Arri S / ST system. I acquired this brochure from Victor Duncan in Chicago. It was printed in West Germany. There is no date on it, but I 'm sure it was the early 80's.

At this time Arri was selling new S cameras to be powered with 12 volts. Pictures of the camera with a Pilotone generator and the mags' torque motor have "12 volt" stenciled on it.

Arri offered 4 drive motors: Variable Speed 4 ? 50 FPS forward or reverse, Governor Controlled at 24 or 25 fps forward only, 110 t0 240 volt Synchronous Motor with Power Supply and the newest Quartz Drive System A 16 ST E. Arri offered a Single Frame Gear Unit that required the use of the Governor Controlled motor.

Now the part you are interested in.... the 12 Volt variable speed motor they show is exactly like the one you have. The transistor on top, with the smallish direction switch right behind the transistor. The silver i.d. label is positioned opposite the transistor. I would guess your motor is the last version of the variable speed motor Arri made, redesigned for 12 volts. If you can get through to him, talk to Rodger Reddy in the electronic repair section at Arri in N.Y. He's the most knowledgeable on the older motors.

I have a 16 S price list dated 11/1980 printed in the U.S., it lists a 8/12-volt variable speed motor. The description: "Variable Speed 8/12 volt DC motor for 5 - 40 FPS forward and reverse operation". There may have been a typo in the FPS, as the sales brochure states the speed to be 4 - 50 FPS. There is no picture on the price list, so it?s hard to tell which model. List price - $850

The new Quartz Drive System A 16 ST E or motor was the one to get. 24 or 25 fps ?quartz? sync, 8 ? 50 fps variable, forward/reverse, single frame with external pulse generator and most important, ?shutter stopping device with quick stop for unimpeded viewing through the viewfinder (especially important for the 16 St with built-in exposure control)?.

List price - $3,264

11/1980 16 S/B basic camera list price - $8,375

16 S/B - GS $10,445

APEC, Precision Exposure Control, when ordered with a new camera $1,695

Charlie Peich

...I have a 16 S price list dated 11/1980 printed in the U.S., it lists a 8/12-volt variable speed motor. The description: "Variable Speed 8/12 volt DC motor for 5 - 40 FPS forward and reverse operation". There may have been a typo in the FPS, as the sales brochure states the speed to be 4 - 50 FPS. There is no picture on the price list, so it?s hard to tell which model. List price - $850

The new Quartz Drive System A 16 ST E or motor was the one to get. 24 or 25 fps ?quartz? sync, 8 ? 50 fps variable, forward/reverse, single frame with external pulse generator and most important, ?shutter stopping device with quick stop for unimpeded viewing through the viewfinder (especially important for the 16 St with built-in exposure control)?.

List price - $3,264...

Amazing! These were the prices 26 years ago when prices overall were very low compared to today's inflated currency.

And people have complained recently that our newly manufactured TM-23 variable speed motor for Arri S/M was too expensive at the original $450, and our TXM-22 crystal motor for Arri was ditto at the original $1195.

After lowering the prices to $375 and $895 we didn't sell any more quantity, and were no longer making any money on them, so they have been discontinued.

Maybe if people showed an interest in buying them at the prices today say 10x what the roughly equivalent ones were from Arri 26 years ago, owing to inflation, we would consider making these motors again at list prices of $8,500 and $32,640.