HDV players compatible with CANON XL H1?

daniel mahlknecht

Hi,

I need to capture HDV 1080 25f material recorded with the CANON XL H1.

As I don't have an H1, I tried the Sony FX1 but it can't read the tapes.

Are there recorders/players that can read the tapes or do I need to use a canon camera?

thanks

daniel

With the XLH1 as with most HDV Cams, there are no miniDV tapes that can handle the high data rate these cameras capture at their HD formats. Usually a P2 card, or a firestore external Hardisk is used in the case of the XLH1

actually we already shot on the tapes, the problem is that we don't have a player capable to read 1080 25f material, as we don' have the canon XLH1 anymore, but only a Sony FX1 which can read only 1080 50i.

I know that the canon reads from the tapes (the datarate problem concerns only the Panasonic 200 if I'm not wrong but thats not HDV but HDvc pro)

daniel

• Premium Member
With the XLH1 as with most HDV Cams, there are no miniDV tapes that can handle the high data rate these cameras capture at their HD formats. Usually a P2 card, or a firestore external Hardisk is used in the case of the XLH1

bollocks. you can capture hdv footage on standard mini dv tapes.

Maybe the question was not so clear.

Actually it was wether there exists a way to play a tape recorded on the canon XLH1 without using a canon camera but any other device including cameras from other producers. This because I know that I can't get easyly an canon camera but maybe something else yes.

Might also be only a problem of HDV1 uncompatibility towards HDV2, which would mean, that a player that can read a 1080i 50 HDV2 signal can read automatically also a 1080f 25 signal (which also is HDV2) but I don't know if this is thrue or if I only want to belive it.

thanks

daniel

Daniel,

...here, let me help you...

Basically, the short answer is NO. You will have to get an XL-H1 camera to playback your 25F footage.

When the XL-H1 records it's progressive footage in the F format, it is recoding a no frills 24, 25 or 30 progressive frame every second at 1080 verticle lines of resolution. There is no pulldown and it is not over a 60i format like Sony. The reason your tape did not work with the Sony deck or camera is because Sony's method of recording the CF format in 24, 25 & 30 type of 1080 HDV is always over 60i. This is why the Canon XL-H1 can playback ALL TYPES of modes recorded by Sony HDV cameras with no problems, but Sony can only playback ONE TYPE of the Canon format, which is 60i.

24F, 25F & 30F needs to be played back using the XL-H1 camera, because there is no deck available as of date.

HOWEVER, THERE'S AN OPTION....

Canon has just released (and is now available) a consumer camera called the CANON HV10 which records HDV in 60i only. BUT, this camera will "playback" 24f, 25f or 30f recorded frootage with ease. Another nice feature the HV10 has is the ability to convert HD footage in realtime to "letterboxed" SD for viewing on a non HDTV.

So there you have it. Those are your options.

I hope that helps,

Edited by Mr. Shannon W. Rawls

• 1 month later...
HOWEVER, THERE'S AN OPTION....

Canon has just released (and is now available) a consumer camera called the CANON HV10 which records HDV in 60i only. BUT, this camera will "playback" 24f, 25f or 30f recorded frootage with ease. Another nice feature the HV10 has is the ability to convert HD footage in realtime to "letterboxed" SD for viewing on a non HDTV

Hi,

I came upon this thread based on a Google search. I have a CANON HV10 and want to be able to playback the HD Mini-DVs on a stand-alone player connected to my AV system.

Does such a stand-alone player exist?