16mm B&W ghosting

kelly tippett

I think it is called halation? I'm planning to buy 7266 tri-x but became aware that there might be some ghosting, b/c B&W film is bad about getting the reflection coming in off the gate/plate. Besides correcting the gate/plate problem what 16mm B&W reversal helps prevent the ghosting effect.

I think it is called halation? I'm planning to buy 7266 tri-x but became aware that there might be some ghosting, b/c B&W film is bad about getting the reflection coming in off the gate/plate. Besides correcting the gate/plate problem what 16mm B&W reversal helps prevent the ghosting effect.

The ghosting effect is a reflection off of the pressure plate, hence why the older 16mm cameras had their gates painted black. The only solution is, frankly, to paint it black.

There is only 1 stock I know of with the anti-ghosting layer available for 16mm, and that is Fomapan.

Ahh, Tri-x and Plus-x both have anti-halation for years probably since they were first made. A lot of ghosting can still happen if there's a problem with the pressure plate not set correctly so make sure it's firm. All films have this backing and can be prone to this not just black and white and thus why they have the anti-halation layer. Fomapan only advertise they have the layer.

• Premium Member

This can happen with any film, not only black and white. The amount of halation is going to increase with gross local overexposure, so to minimize it, just don't overexpose light sources, skies, etc any more than you have to.