Torchwood

If you live in the UK, you've probably seen the ads for this new series, which is a spin-off of Dr Who. I've been doing a lot of operating work on it over the last three or four months, and I think it's going to be good. The first episode airs tonight at 9.00pm BBC 3.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, Doctor Who was hardly high art.

I know what you mean, Phil, but Torchwood is aimed at adults and is much darker than Dr Who. It still shares the same universe as Dr Who, but the scripts have been very interesting on the whole.

Time will tell...

You shot a couple of Doctror Whos didn't you, Stuart.

Not me, I'm afraid.

Man, he sucks.

As cinematography.com's self proclaimed resident 'n00b' you'd do well to show a little more respect for people vastly more experienced more than yourself

You may not like his work, but given your own inexperience you don't have the right to make blanket statements like this.

• Premium Member

Okay so I tried to watch Torchwood last night and decided to forget about the clunky acting, poor script and constant need to point out its pointless welshness ("ooh dafid theres an alien eating a leek") and concentrate on its cinematography. i lasted half a very painful hour. this show makes eastenders look like days of heaven. how is it possible to get such bad results from 750s. I've been editing hours and hours of 750 HDcam footage over the last few months with many different lighting styles and colour configurations and i just dont get it. i cant see how its possible to make something look that... not even bland... it was quite simply painful. what glass is being used? a whisky tumbler? and has the bbc heard of something called post production? the editing was passable but the slow-mo was avid offline circa 1992 and i cant help but feel a tiny bit of colour correction could go a long way... what a shame, this could have been a great show and the sad thing is i bet there are british people with such low standards that they'll think it is.

As cinematography.com's self proclaimed resident 'n00b' you'd do well to show a little more respect for people vastly more experienced more than yourself

You may not like his work, but given your own inexperience you don't have the right to make blanket statements like this.

HA HA HA HA HA, just a little joke, if he got into the BSC then he's got to be good.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

constant need to point out its pointless welshness ("ooh dafid theres an alien eating a leek")

It's set in Cardiff with a predominantly Welsh cast - what do you expect? I've never heard anyone complain about the number of cockneys in Eastenders....

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Okay so I tried to watch Torchwood last night

Crikey, that was a bit stupid, wasn't it?

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Welsh aliens. I'd say you couldn't make it up, but unfortunately they've proven that you could.

The reason it looks pants is that it's probably being shot by the guys who set up the News 24 studio lighting. This is in accordance with two articles in the BBC's charter:

24.a) iii - All programming will be photographed in such a manner as to appear to have been drawn from a stock footage archive twenty years ago;

and

36.c) iv - The corporation will make all reasonable endeavours to spend as much semi-public money as possible while being crap.

Seriously, you've seen it now. These guys' idea of lighting is "science fiction equals party gels!", and goes no further.

Phil

It's set in Cardiff with a predominantly Welsh cast - what do you expect? I've never heard anyone complain about the number of cockneys in Eastenders....

But Doctor Who has always been 'a thouroghly English programme', those damn Welsh are ruining it with their crappy Welshness...

...THEY MUST DIE !!!11!

All programming will be photographed in such a manner as to appear to have been drawn from a stock footage archive twenty years ago;

What the F6 are you talking about ?

Hi,

> Okay so I tried to watch Torchwood last night

Crikey, that was a bit stupid, wasn't it?

Don't say I didn't tell you so.

Welsh aliens. I'd say you couldn't make it up, but unfortunately they've proven that you could.

The reason it looks pants is that it's probably being shot by the guys who set up the News 24 studio lighting. This is in accordance with two articles in the BBC's charter:

24.a) iii - All programming will be photographed in such a manner as to appear to have been drawn from a stock footage archive twenty years ago;

and

36.c) iv - The corporation will make all reasonable endeavours to spend as much semi-public money as possible while being crap.

Seriously, you've seen it now. These guys' idea of lighting is "science fiction equals party gels!", and goes no further.

Phil

I just don't understand you, Phil. You are a well informed and intelligent person, whose posts, on a variety of subjects, I respect. But for reasons best known to yourself, you constantly denigrate the industry you work in, and the people in it.

We've been here before, obviously, and I can't be bothered to rehash old arguments which got nowhere the first time around, but I just wish that you could be a little less needlessly bitter and derogatory. It just sounds like sour grapes, and I think it's beneath someone of your ability to be this way.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Stuart, if it looked any good, I wouldn't cuss it. But it doesn't. It looks like a soap opera set in a fairground.

The American stuff generally looks great. The British stuff generally looks crap. Yes, I'm bitter; if it was better, it'd sell better, and I'd have more work than I have now; I might even be able to afford more than one pair of shoes a year.

Phil

• Premium Member

In Eastenders no one goes around banging on about how Londonish it is- that is my point. plus i was trying to avoid filling this board with the depression that flooded from my frazzled brain. besides are you honestly going to tell me you think this programme looks good? go on please please give an honest opinion.... it's simply pathetic how talked up this programme is- i've read people comparing russel davies with joss whedon! There is absolutely nothing wrong with having high standards and perhaps if more of the two bob tv production companies in this country did we wouldn't have phil wearing out his only pair of shoes. i mean come on stuart i bet 80% of the people on the show only work in the business because they couldn't think of what to do after finishing their pointless degree. the creative end of the british industry emigrates or starves or works in evil advertising due to the protectionist/ nepotistic and 'i'm scared people will reailise that i'm a talentless poop and will have to get a proper job like my dad' people that run the moronic tv companies. i am more optimistic than phil but i still live in his shity reality.

I liked it myself, although there are still some aspects that could be improved.

Perhaps over the next 11 episodes there will be improvement.

Still too early to say but episode one got 2.4 million viewers (highest ever for BBC3) and episode 2 got 2.3 million.