Need Some Suggestions

Natalie Saito

I'm a film student and I'd like a few suggestions from experienced dps, gaffers, grips regarding equipment... First off, which rental house has the best deals for students? Which 16mm sync camera model is best for the price (rental)? Last, where can I find a good place to get an affordable grip truck and portable generator (for an ext. night shot)? Thanks for reading! Natalie

one more questions..completely optional: fuji or kodak?

I'm a film student and I'd like a few suggestions from experienced dps, gaffers, grips regarding equipment... First off, which rental house has the best deals for students? Which 16mm sync camera model is best for the price (rental)? Last, where can I find a good place to get an affordable grip truck and portable generator (for an ext. night shot)? Thanks for reading! Natalie

one more questions..completely optional: fuji or kodak?

I believe Wooden Nickel gives students $100.00 in gear for free when they rent their first grip package. I'd really call wooden nickel and find out what kind of deal the can swing you. For everything else, I'd recommend calling around, explain your situation and most of the time they are willing to work with you.

All the Best,

Allen Achterberg

Hi Natalie,

For student rentals a few good bets are:

Lighting and Grip -

Wooden Nickel (I see someone has already mentioned it - i think 20% discount)

Castex Rentals

Indie Rentals

Birns and Sawyer

Cameras -

Birns and Sawyer (film cameras)

Abel Cine Tech (film cameras)

Moviola (digital cameras)

Wooden Nickel (but I've never rented cameras there, but i know you can for good rates)

you can also check out LA411 and just call around to find out the student rates.

make sure you have your own insurance, it might get a bit expensive if you purchase the rental house insurance.

Good Luck.

Eve

for a sync sound camera, you have the choice between Arri sr II and an aaton xtr plus honestly they are equal

chek with the rental house wich one they have available between tow shows and be ready maybe to move your schedull to have a better deal.

Here we have "seasons for cameras" theire ere more s16 in the rental house in winter bcause theire are less tv series shot in winter so if you can shoot your film at this time you'll have more cams available and at a better deal and so on

i hope it helps