Veronica Mars ROCKS!

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Veronica Mars, Halloween night, (9:47:10 pm)

Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) interviewing a filmmaker, "Loved your movie, 8mm bold choice." filmmaker replies "Yeah".

Super-8mm, the bold choice of a new generation of filmmakers. (not to be confused with those who shoot millions of feet of 35mm and 16mm and thusly allow super-8 to be the bold choice).

• Premium Member
Huh? My personal grudges? Am I missing something?

You're talking about a line of dialogue from a TV show....how is it related to cinematography?

Specifically mentioning the words 8mm and calling it a bold choice is noteworthy.

"That 70's Show" never mentioned or showed a super-8 camera (at least I never saw or heard it mentioned on the show). Even though "That 70's show" wasn't about things like Super-8 or 8 track players, it was a show from the 70's that didn't mention or show the primary choice for the average family for filming moving images in that decade.

It's a bit ironic that a show that takes place in the year 2006 mentions super-8/8mm yet a show from Super-8's heyday (the 70's) does not.

• 12 years later...

I recently have been watching the new episodes and the old ones on Hulu. Wow! Viewed on a TCL 4k HDR panel. for a show shot on Super 16, it looks great! Shot on Fuji Eterna, it holds up very well.  The difference between the old and new is noticable, but not that much. At least on my screen. The tv must do a great job at "upscaling" non 4k footage.  the S16 footage has great color. It pops but keeps flesh tones realistic. The new episodes looks sharper with more desaturation. My overall point here is that all the talk of Super 16 not being adequate for modern streaming or TV is wrong. Perhaps the OCN from the original run has been rescanned at 4k or HD masters upscaled?? Who knows, but it looks great!