Arri S motor with large silver cylinder on back

Sean Charlesworth

• Premium Member

Sean,

There were many different Arri motors for the Arriflex 16S, and most of them had the inching knob on the back. If you could post a picture of the motor, it would be much easier to identify.

How is this motor different from the motor you posted pictures of a few weeks ago?

-Tim

I should have explained better. I was just saying that there is the large cylinder attached to the normal-looking part of the motor and the inching knob came out the back of the large cylinder. Voila... a picutre....

bigmotor.JPG

I feel like I've seen this before I just can't remember where.

Thanks Tim

PS - did you get those scans I sent you OK?

• Premium Member
This would be Arridocs.zip which has:

'59 S catalog

'75 S/M catalog

'81 S price list

APEC tech sheet

Mag instructions

Time lapse manual

Universal motor blue print

Sean,

I had forgotten about that, and you were using an old email address that I rarely check. I did go there and find the information. Thanks.

And if you ever need any of those Arriflex 16S cameras rebuilt, lubed with ARRI's original lubricants, and set back to factory spec, let me know, would be happy to help you folks at NYU out.

-Tim

PS: Just downloaded it. Good stuff. Thanks much.

...there is the large cylinder attached to the normal-looking part of the motor...

If there is an RCA phono jack on the back, this is probably a pilot generator for double-system sound. These were I think made by Ryder and possibly others. This would be connected to the pilot input on your Nagra 3 or similar recorder. It had a gear set inside with 60:72 or equivalent ratio, and a 2-pole alternator, to get 60 Hz at 24 FPS. If the rubber coupling between motor and camera is not slipping.