Short Film shot in Bangkok

shot on 35mm and we have to watch it on myspace in a crummy flash file BOOOO! haha. I thought it was shot beautifully. Only cristcems on cinematography I can really say are I would have thrown in a little backround light behind the lead at the table...just so he wasnt against a completly black backround. But I cant say I loved t he story, I honestly didnt get it, maybe I just didnt watch it close enough or smething but I didnt get the connection between the police thing and im oding...what was it saying?...I also though the voice overs and ending were only so so. Never been a big fan of voice overs I think there are much more creative ways to tell your story visually without having to do that...its also kinda cliche guy almost dies and now stops taking life for grantit. for such a beatiful film it bothered me I just didnt get the point to it...comments?

shot on 35mm and we have to watch it on myspace in a crummy flash file BOOOO! haha. I thought it was shot beautifully. Only cristcems on cinematography I can really say are I would have thrown in a little backround light behind the lead at the table...just so he wasnt against a completly black backround. But I cant say I loved t he story, I honestly didnt get it, maybe I just didnt watch it close enough or smething but I didnt get the connection between the police thing and im oding...what was it saying?...I also though the voice overs and ending were only so so. Never been a big fan of voice overs I think there are much more creative ways to tell your story visually without having to do that...its also kinda cliche guy almost dies and now stops taking life for grantit. for such a beatiful film it bothered me I just didnt get the point to it...comments?

Hi Jake thanks for your feedback , i am very new to posting video on the web how is the best way to do this for best quality viewing ? you tube , i mac or just upload to my webside ? what type of compression do you recommend ?

Hi,

Not bad at all!

However I have to say the I found the end a bit cliched...oh it was all a dream...and oh yeah and now I'm a monk... I think the script needed more work! But it looks nice. A little bit flat for my liking near the end in some places e.g. when he's looking at himself in the mirror.

But anyway....

Could you please tell me how you got the blurring effect when he picks up the phone in the interrogation room - I've been trying to figure out how to achieve it for a while now but I'm not at all sure how it works...it's step-printing right?

what NLE are you on? If on final cut I would suggest exporting using quicktime conversion, set it at high, and export audio with the aac codec at 44.1 khz. then chose a frame size. not a bad Idea to do a couple version in diffrent resoultions. 320x240 is the typical low res standard for 4:3 so work from there. Im sure its similar with other applications to I have been on a bunch and its usually something like that. oh yea and Host on your website for sure, youtube and myspace all use really bad flash codecs for tiny files. stay away from that stuff.

what NLE are you on? If on final cut I would suggest exporting using quicktime conversion, set it at high, and export audio with the aac codec at 44.1 khz. then chose a frame size. not a bad Idea to do a couple version in diffrent resoultions. 320x240 is the typical low res standard for 4:3 so work from there. Im sure its similar with other applications to I have been on a bunch and its usually something like that. oh yea and Host on your website for sure, youtube and myspace all use really bad flash codecs for tiny files. stay away from that stuff.

Thanks Jake tried what you said on FCP , looks great will upload it soon

Thanks Jake tried what you said on FCP , looks great will upload it soon

Hi morgan that effect is done in camera by shooting at a slow frame rate i think that shot was 5 fps

"Hi morgan that effect is done in camera by shooting at a slow frame rate i think that shot was 5 fps"

But to get this effect, did you dublicate the frames later...? like in the wong-kar-Wai Films?

by chris

yes i like the camera work, but i didn´t like the ending of the story... is it a don´t take drugs ending and don´t have fun? mmh i don´t know... its too much... for me

but jeah nice look... its 35mm :-)

by chris

Hi,

I meant the close-up on his hand when he is dialing to see if his girlfriend is still alive. The motion looks normal speed except there is loads of motion blur as his hand moves to dial. Also the bit where you see the policeman's legs moving towards the table as he takes the phone there. It has the same feel - the legs are actually waliking at normal speed but there is a load of motion blur.

How did you achieve this exactly?

Thanks!

Hi,

I meant the close-up on his hand when he is dialing to see if his girlfriend is still alive. The motion looks normal speed except there is loads of motion blur as his hand moves to dial. Also the bit where you see the policeman's legs moving towards the table as he takes the phone there. It has the same feel - the legs are actually waliking at normal speed but there is a load of motion blur.

How did you achieve this exactly?

Thanks!

Ok they were done shooting 4-5 fps then in post the speed was reduced 20-25% to look normal speed with the motion blur

visually stunning. i do agree that the screenplay needed more work but the ending caught me off guard and it was a welcome statement. would love to see this on HD. I know quicktime also offers the H.264 codec for HD videos. by the way will this be available on dvd?

Thanks Jesus i managed to make this better quality download http://homepage.mac.com/wademuller/FileSharing1.html

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully shot. The thing holding this short back isn't the cinematography, but rather the acting and story. The writing was very cliche and rather boring. Its a story we've all heard a hundred times. As for the acting, it was mediocre at best. Still, there is little you can do about that. My advice would be to spend more time on the writing, and do your best to find quality actors. If the latter is impossible, then write around your actors strengths and try to keep them out of situations which expose their weaknesses.

Hi Wade,

We met last year at the Rachamankha in CM. Spotted you on here and thought id drop a post.

Checked out your film and thought it was most definitely beautifully shot and held elements of attention disposition but would probably agree with some of the other comments on the acting. The Actors all had the right physical characteristics but thought they may not have fully understood the script, which may have let it down a touch.

May i ask you about the production costs in BK? I looked at 35mm Camera hire while i was there but they were fairly scarce.

Any other works you would like to share?

Wes.