Spare parts for Devry Standard A?

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest The Cardboard Company

Hi --

I'm in need of a winding/hand crank for a Devry Standard A -- otherwise known as "the lunchbox camera". Does anyone know a place (BESIDES EBAY) where I might pick one up? Or, does anyone know if the crank from another camera (B&H maybe?) will fit this one?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron, welcome to the world of antique camera users. I've brought a couple of Eyemos back from retirement and have found that, unless you can find the parts you need, you may need to make friends with a machinist. That said, you may find that DeVry cameras are not all that uncommon - several traffic and security cameras in the past used DeVry movements. But eBay is, for better or worse, the first place to look for old cameras & parts. Just protect yourself; I've done scores of eBay deals and have indeed been ripped off once (I sold a camera to someone who claimed he never received it, and I didn't have enough tracking or insurance backup to go after him).

There does seem to be more of these cameras out there then cranks for them. I know that the hand crank from the B+H Eyemo won't work with it, they have different shaped shaft connectors. The Devry "lunchbox" can be wound up with a large flat-head screwdriver but that really wouldn't work for hand cranking it nor is it optimal for winding. If you can't find one, making one or having one made shouldn't be that difficult.

There does seem to be more of these cameras out there then cranks for them. I know that the hand crank from the B+H Eyemo won't work with it, they have different shaped shaft connectors. The Devry "lunchbox" can be wound up with a large flat-head screwdriver but that really wouldn't work for hand cranking it nor is it optimal for winding. If you can't find one, making one or having one made shouldn't be that difficult.

I'm actually trying to design a connector for mine. Once I have it right, I'd be glad to make one up for you. (In-law has a metalshop)

I'm actually trying to design a connector for mine. Once I have it right, I'd be glad to make one up for you. (In-law has a metalshop)

Sounds promising. Please keep us all updated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 35mm camera that was built with a DeVry mechanism and it uses the same kind of crank. I have been thinking of reverse engineering the crank and putting drawings up on the web so anyone can make their own (I make a living as a technical drafter).

I have a 35mm camera that was built with a DeVry mechanism and it uses the same kind of crank. I have been thinking of reverse engineering the crank and putting drawings up on the web so anyone can make their own (I make a living as a technical drafter).

That's pretty much all I'm doing as well. I've finished a prototype unit, it's fairly simple device.

Was the Contax rangefinder mount original issue?

No, it looks like a modification done to accommodate a lens commonly found at that time (the 1930's). The lens on it now is a Russian one I got recently. I haven't been able to find any information about the company that made this particular model. The mechanism is definitely a DeVry since I also have several Abel Traffic cam mechanisms made by DeVry that have interchangeable parts with this camera.

No, it looks like a modification done to accommodate a lens commonly found at that time (the 1930's). The lens on it now is a Russian one I got recently. I haven't been able to find any information about the company that made this particular model. The mechanism is definitely a DeVry since I also have several Abel Traffic cam mechanisms made by DeVry that have interchangeable parts with this camera.

As Herb knows, those are the exact same mechanisms I used to make my DeVry's, same source. I'm still having issues finding a leica mount for mine, so they're using Pentax lenses for now.

I think National Cine also modified Walls to accept Mitchell motors and accessories.

That's mentioned in the Pitaro(?) film&tv "encyclopedia".

Used to have a price list from them for Pentax adaptors for Mitchells, 2709s, Eyemos, Walls, RCA orthicons and various 16mms.

New York based, but might have moved to Miami.

No, it looks like a modification done to accommodate a lens commonly found at that time (the 1930's).

I once caught an episode of a 30s police radio show.

So a LA policeman is trying to infiltrate an Oriental smuggling ring.

The ring leader is a photography enthusiast.

The cop is admiring the ring leader's Contax & tells him that he's also a photgrapher.

The ring leader asks him if he has a Contax too.

'Oh no. I can only afford a Leica'

• 1 month later...
... welcome to the world of antique camera users.

... And does anyone know of a technician who can fix/recollimate the lenses for these cameras?

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by The Cardboard Company

• 7 years later...

It's called.....

'The DeVry Lens Mount'

'Instantly Interchangeable Lens Mount"

'The DeVry interchangeable lens mount'

'Interchangeable bayonet base'

(from DeVry literature)

IMG_2562_zps8a903a57.jpg

IMG_2556_zps319db5a8.jpg

Devrysales012_zps501007cf.jpg

The mount was designed and used on the DeVry Standard camera only. The Wollensak Fastax mount looks similar, but will not work on the DeVry mount.

The camera was developed for the 'Home Movie' enthusiast in 1926.

http://archive.org/stream/amemato06asch#page/n173/mode/2up

Charlie

I hadn't realised this camera was that old. I'd thought much later perhaps 1950s. Someone showed me one some months ago and it seemed to work fine, and so compact. I sort of regret not buying it. Does anyone know how they are for image steadiness ?

Presumably it would be possible too to adapt other lenses on to this strange mount.

Edited by Doug Palmer

Doug,

Check out this site:

http://www.sn2708.com/

to see some recently shot film with the DeVry Standard camera. This is the only DeVry Standard footage (footage that I was aware of being shot with the DeVry) I've seen on the net.

The site owner posts on this forum.

The early cameras ran at the silent "standard" speed, 16 fps. Later there are Standards that run at 24 fps.

Sure, you can mount newer lenses on this camera. How much do you want to spend?

I would make sure the camera is operating properly before investing in other lenses. Shooting a film test to test for steadiness and running speed would be a good idea. You may be disappointed. The only repair parts that are available for this camera are from another cameras.

This is a lens mount modification to the camera to allow the use of screw-in still lenses....

34613_zps762f9b50.jpg

34615_zps87c10fc5.jpg

This is a Cooke 47mm 'Cinema' lens that was re-housed and fitted with a DeVry lens mount.....

IMG_2749_zps660511e3.jpg

IMG_3179_zps0722d3bc.jpg

I don't think you could put a Arri PL mount on the camera. The physical size of the PL mount on the camera might interfere with opening the hinged cover, you won't be able to change film!

I think DeVry ended production of this camera in the early '50s, before DeVry was sold to Bell & Howell in 1954.

It is full aperture 35mm, 'Super-35'.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=8577

A nice camera for point and shoot home movies where critical framing isn't of importance.

Dr. Herman A. DeVry:

http://earlyaviators.com/edevry01.htm

Charlie

That's great, Charlie. So it looks like one has to be careful about the steadiness and also the 24fps model. I've got a feeling the one I was offered was one of these but really not sure. It seemed later, and it certainly transported the blank film well, though I couldn't be too sure of the actual steadiness in the gate. Thanks for providing that link to Aaron's site. Very interesting. Have sent him email. In England they are quite rare beasts unfortunately. I see there's now one on Ebay from someone in France, but he wants quite a lot for it, and untested. Thinking again about that jitter on Aaron's footage, it looks to me something to do with the gate pad pressure perhaps ? I once had a similar problem with a Beaulieu R16. I like the idea of using a compact 35mm spool camera. Eyemo maybe is good candidate but I don't like the protruding turret.

• 4 months later...

Thinking again about that jitter on Aaron's footage, it looks to me something to do with the gate pad pressure perhaps ?

I don't know what's causing that jitter/vertical movement, but it's driving me nuts. I've done everything to this camera and the problem just will not go away. I have discovered the the jitter is much worse with color film than with black and white, leading me to believe that the problem is has something to do with the strength or operation of the spindle turning the take up spool.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

Strange. Surely the take-up wouldn't affect the steadiness because the film has to pass the sprocket before it arrives at the take-up spool. Does the steadiness improve at all if you put a finger on the gate pressure pad ? (weak spring perhaps) Or maybe it's something to do with the thickness of the film stock, I'm not sure if colour is thinner than black and white.

Does the steadiness improve at all if you put a finger on the gate pressure pad ? (weak spring perhaps) Or maybe it's something to do with the thickness of the film stock, I'm not sure if colour is thinner than black and white.

The thickness of the film stock is definitely an issue. Black and white film (which is thinner than color stock) shows less jitter than color, but the vertical movement is still present. I'll investigate the spring in the pressure pad and see what that leads to.

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

The camera was developed for the 'Home Movie' enthusiast in 1926.

It was announced and briefly presented in the July 1925 issue of American Cinematographer. When introduced remains to be verifiied.