PL mount? B4 ?

thomas-english

The SI isn't unique in using S16 lenses, both RED and the older Kinetta design plan to use them. However, chances are that older 16mm lenses wouldn't be up to HD.

Being a single sensor camera, you can't use B4 video lenses directly on the SI because they are designed to be be used with the optical block that mounts the 3 CCDs. If you do want to use them you'd need a converter like the Abakus that allows B4 lenses to be used on 16mm film cameras and so they would also work on the SI.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

It looks like these bodies are going to ship with PL mounts.

Are s16 lenses good enough to resolve HD ?

I'd say that it depends on the age of the optic and as all lenses are individuals - the individual lens itself. Its been my experience that modern S16 lenses as well as ED Nikons and L series Canon still lenses are up to the job.

I'd say that it depends on the age of the optic and as all lenses are individuals - the individual lens itself. Its been my experience that modern S16 lenses as well as ED Nikons and L series Canon still lenses are up to the job.

Yes, we're seeing the same thing too . . . modern S16 zooms and good primes (like the Superspeeds or the Optars) are definitely resolving enough resolution.

• 4 months later...
Hi Gary,

Go with the best S16 lenses you can find. I don't think the P+S will resolve anything like 2K

Stephen

Not long after posting... a producer called me and said he was going to order 2 of the cameras and going with s16 lens...