post production

Dave Plake

Films shot with high end HD video cameras like star wars and collateral...how much money is spent in post tweaking the images and making them look more like 35mm film?...or do they just look similar to film staight out of the camera?

Thanks!

D

A bunch.....features are shot so fast that most every scene is color corrected.....and they do final post and finishing on high end systems.

Films like Star Wars with so much FX and CG work that is all computer anyway, it only makes sense to film green screen and the few real scenes on HD.....you can have immediate feedback and show the actors how there are doing with the CG elements (if they are roughed in)....

Films like Collateral??? I have no idea why that was shot HD....

Seems like more work really???

Guest Paul Wizikowski
Films shot with high end HD video cameras like star wars and collateral...how much money is spent in post tweaking the images and making them look more like 35mm film?...or do they just look similar to film staight out of the camera?

Thanks!

D

Well, its always about "what look are you going for". But in short, yea, they do a lot of color correction and film effecting in post to achieve their desired look. There are a lot of third party plug-ins for your different NLE's to let the independants get a variety of looks but as Michael mentioned most films released theatrically or for distribution on DVD get some kind of highend color correction. As for how much, there are quite a few variables to figure out those answers. Personally I don't know what Star Wars spent or Collateral for that matter. Of course Lucas owns the company doing the post work so he can play all he wants. If your interested in some cost effective plug-ins for your smaller productions you should check out "magic bullet" or "nattress film effects". I've used both of these for great results. Just expect some long renders.