Seeking DP Recommendations

Andrew Colton

Xavier Perez Grobet is a great recommendation, he doens't have the exact same style as Prieto, but I'm sure he can do what your script calls for. You can check his work in Before Night falls.

Another good cinematographer is Carlos Marcovich, he did the cinematpgraphy on Comandante along with Prieto. I've worked with all 3 of them(before they became international) and they are great cinematographers.

Hi Andrew, I am amazed that you managed to get that many answers while being new here and quite rude, but here goes my answer anyway, hope it helps!

Cesar Charlone is a great DP, very much in the style of what I think you are looking for. He has a great handheld camera. If you have not these two movies ( but you probably have ) you should have a look at them, The Constant Gardener and City of God. Benoit Delhomme's work ( Scent of the green papaya, Cyclo, among others ) you should also have a look into. There is also a whole scene of incredibly talented DPs doing handheld work in China and Korea, well throughout asia actually ( handheld is very much in vogue there it seems ). Unfortunately I only have Yang Lun in mind now. But I also agree with everyone's comments, I think you should meet as many people as possible and if you can meet with Prieto, well, meet him first!

Christophe C

Hi Andrew, I am amazed that you managed to get that many answers while being new here and quite rude, but here goes my answer anyway, hope it helps!

Well, thank you my fellow "new" member :)

I do think that it's just as rude to be condescending and patronizing, as trying to ask a reasonable question...

That of course does not apply to you. Since you did post an answer. And that part of your post is greatly appreciated...

• Premium Member
Well, thank you my fellow "new" member :)

I do think that it's just as rude to be condescending and patronizing, as trying to ask a reasonable question...

That of course does not apply to you. Since you did post an answer. And that part of your post is greatly appreciated...

I would like to apologize for myself and the more mature members of Cinematography.com. Tim Tyler moderates with a very light hand, which enhances democracy and frank exchanges. But that does have its downside.

Unfortunately there are those here who wear their grudges on their lapel. You're a Producer, and to them you're the Enemy. You could be the most competent, nicest, fairest, best paying Producer on earth and the spoiled brats would still flame you to get even for all their self-perceived "abuse" from Producers in the past.

Stick around - if you can stomach the brats.