Technical Question re a Sony 750 and JH3 deck!

Guy Meachin

I know this doesn't exactly fit the cinematography thing here but I could do with some expert advice!

I shot a commercial the other day on a Sony 750, I've now been left with the responsibility of editing it also. I'm using FCP 4.5HD, and will be capturing my footage from a JH3 deck to a G5. What cable do I need to connect the two together and is it possible?

Thanks v much in advance!

Guy

• Premium Member

You'll probably need to add a hardware interface (AJA or Decklink) as well as a multi-drive RAID in order to edit HDCAM with FCP. This isn't a natively supported format (unlike DVCPro HD), and will require the extra hardware in order to function.

JH3 decks have a firewire out, so you'll just need a six pin firewire cable. Obviously, you're not going to get HD down that cable. The deck downconverts it and sends it as a DV stream.

I'm sure there are people here who know the details better than me, so feel free to correct my errors.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yes. It's a lot more than just a cable. Blackmagic Decklink card plus reasonably large RAID required - some money to be spent. Plus, you'll need monitoring.

You could of course have it dubbed to DVCPRO-HD, but that would be a rather lossy way to go.

Or, get downconversions and offline it, then online it somewhere else.

Phil

will be capturing my footage from a JH3 deck to a G5. What cable do I need to connect the two together and is it possible?

Looks like you'll be needing an HD-SDI card installed onto your Mac. You can use firewire if you're fine with it being downconverted to SD for a DVD release only. But to preserve the HD, and still use your JH3 deck, you'll need the HDSDI card.

After looking for a bit, I found one, but I haven't read any reviews on it. But you'll want the "Fury" or the "Vengeance" types of cards as described on this website, also, I would suggest you upgrade to FCP 5 if you're working in HD: http://www.digitalvoodoo.net/products/hdrange/

• Premium Member

Stuarts correct the JH3 will give you a dv res downconvert so you can offline without any major hardware. I have been using this HD workflow since June (with footage from 750s). Obviously hardware is needed if you go above dv resolution. it is an excellent offline process and i haven't had any reconform errors when go back to machine control for the hd conform.

keith

Edited by Keith Mottram