100' daylight spool for 400' take up

Keneu Luca

• Premium Member

Lost !

No it should not be a problem, if you can fix that spool in the take-up side... I don't remember if the pin at the center is the same, but if yes, it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT : the more I think of it, the more I'm afraid that only "classic" cores fit there...

So the question only would be can you fix spools instead of cores at the take-up side... The lab has nothing to see with that...

I know there are intermediates that allow to fit classic cores on square pins. If you use one, don't send it at the lab, remove it as you download, that's all.

10 more bucks if Tim confirms that !

Do you have the 400' mag before your very eyes ?

I've only used the Arri S once, it's a great camera. I love how contoured the grip is. But anyway...

Yes, you can put a 100' daylight reel on the takeup of the S' 400' mag, just as you can put a 100' daylight reel on the feed. If there's a core, it's removeable so you have the ability to put a daylight spool on it. The lab doesn't care either way.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to use the 400' mag if you're only doing 100' rolls? I'll assume it's because the camera is easier to load when you're using the 400' removeable mag?

:)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
Would it be a bad idea to use a 100' daylight spool to use for the take-up reel in an Arri S 400' mag?

Would that cause problems with the lab?

Thank you.

P.S.

10 bucks says Tim answers this first :P

You owe me ten bucks.

Let me see if I understand what you are asking. If you are asking, will a 100 ft spool fit on a spindle in a 400 ft magazine, then the answer is yes. If you are asking if you can put 100 ft daylight spools in a 400 ft magazine and will that work, yes provided you lock up the two follow rollers, otherwise they will jam the spools (these are the rollers that tell you how much footage you have left and align the film onto the film core on take-up). But why would you want to do this? You will waste quite a bit of film at the head of the roll if you load a 100 ft spool into a 400 ft mag, pull out enough film for threading and take-up. Why would you want to waste that much film, especially at the current Kodak prices?

If, on the other hand, you want to use a 100 ft daylight spool as a take-up because you don't have a core adapter for the take-up side, or you don't have a core, and you are going to load a 400 ft load on the feed side and want to use a 100 ft spool on the take-up side as a core to roll the whole 400 feet on to, then I certainly would not recommend doing that. Not only will the lab curse you, but you cannot use the follow rollers on the take-up side if you have a 100 ft daylight spool there, and your film will not wind straight on the take-up. It could end up all over the place.

Send me the ten bucks. ;)

-Tim

• Premium Member
a core adapter

That's what I was meaning, sorry if my words weren't correct...

pull out enough film for threading and take-up. Why would you want to waste that much film, especially at the current Kodak prices?

It's only a couple of feet more, in'it ?...

the lab curse you

Do you really think so ? I reckon they would be surprised, but it shouldn't really be big trouble, should it be ?

you cannot use the follow rollers on the take-up side if you have a 100 ft daylight spool there, and your film will not wind straight on the take-up. It could end up all over the place.

That's a good point I didn't think of ! I second that.

Anyway...

Send me the ten bucks. ;)

Wait a minute...

He didn't say he would owe you 10 $ if you wouldn't answer first !

I assume he should owe 10 $ the first who answered his question, no matter if the answer was good or not, BTW...

It's too easy just to sit and wait until someone else comes around and then come up and say "You owe me ten bucks" !

I suggest that Jonathan and I get at least half of it since you should be gratefull to us that we answered before you do, Tim. :D

Anyway, that doesn't tell us why you want to do this, Keneu, if you tell us, may be we can help better !

• Premium Member
He didn't say he would owe you 10 $ if you wouldn't answer first !

I assume he should owe 10 $ the first who answered his question, no matter if the answer was good or not, BTW...

It's too easy just to sit and wait until someone else comes around and then come up and say "You owe me ten bucks" !

I suggest that Jonathan and I get at least half of it since you should be gratefull to us that we answered before you do, Tim. :D

Anyway, that doesn't tell us why you want to do this, Keneu, if you tell us, may be we can help better !

I could not disagree more. :lol:

I had to sit around all morning waiting for someone else to answer Keneu's post just so I could win the $10, and I was in the middle of working on a 400 ft mag at the time. Oh how it pained me to not be able to jump on that post and pretend that I knew what I was talking about. Instead I had to sit on my hands to keep them from attacking the key board and blurting out, "I know the answer! I know the answer!"

If that does not earn me the $10, I don't know what would. :)

-Tim

Alright. So who do I make the check out to?

Tim, you coulda answered. I was really shocked that you didnt.

Thanks guys for answering. This question was kind of a hypathetical. It would be in the sense of loading a full 400' load onto a 100' reel.

There wasnt a realy good reason for doing it. I guess I was thinking it would make handling the exposed film easier, since it was somewhat contained ion the 100' reel as opposed to a core. I know, that sounds silly. Like I said it was mostly hypatheitcal. But what Tim said about the film not winding on the reel properly sounds logical.

I guess I will avoid doing this.