Special effects section.

Well you guys can do it your way, I'll do it my way.

The big movies from the 70s will always be 1000 times more inspiring to me than the CG world of 2006.

The most depressing thing about this thread was learning that there is no such thing as a Klingon.

R,

Well, I don't know about 2006, but Lord of the Rings wasn't half bad and pretty damn inspirational if you ask me. Now if your comparing Lawrence of Arabia or Gandhi to Revenge of the Sith or War of the Worlds (Speilberg's) your camparing apples to a pizza. They're 2 different things. Maybe you just don't like action/ adventure.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me: Born and raised in "Palo Alto" pre-tech boom when it was just a bunch of really interesting people doing really interesting things and I thought it was odd that our family friend was a programmer who would spend all day at the "PARC."

Palo Alto did you say? Which High school did you go to? I went to all of them! LOL, Palo Alto Senior High, Hennry M. Gunn, Cubberly and even Independent Learning School. I don't know exactly when the tech boom officially began in PA, but I do think it was a lot more interesting pre-dot-com and dot-gone. I really felt out of place when I moved back from Hawaii in the late '90s. It's so expensive to live here these that a lot of folks have relocated. In a way it's becoming a sort of mono culture, though there are definitely some hold outs if you know where to look.

Palo Alto did you say? Which High school did you go to?

And now for something COMPLETELY OT (but in answer to this question and anyone interested in the sociological aspect of the dot com boom):

I went to Paly. The difference is profound. It was a quiet little secretly wonderful town with a lot of smart, socially conscious and aware people and was NOT the richest city in the area. All the hang outs have converted to posch chains. The $30,000 homes now go for $1.5 million. People who inhereted homes from family who do socail work or kindergarten teaching are living next to high powered lawers and the dot-comers who sold at the right time. It has a club scene (what?) - kids come from other cities to party. The only thing people used to come there for was a couple little mom and pop restaurants and a night with what would become "windham hill" at the varsity. Strange place to be home to: Apple, Hewlett Packard, Xerox Parc, right after being home to joan baez, greatful dead (I'm told), windham hill (next door), etc. etc. etc. and a host of other innovations and imaginations... It was a very inspiring place to be back then... now, I'm not sure... it feels like .... a place where the fences have already been built... if that makes sense... like... uhmmmm Los Angeles.

oh well. it's true what they say... "You can never go home."

Digidesign made protools by internally developing "Edit" and the contractng out "Mix" - in protools version 1, you would switch between these two applications.... yeah, really... it was fun... especially when it crashed which it did a lot before version 2.0. When they combined the two, the folks who wrote the "mix" portion went on to create "Deck" as their own application.

It did little but crash when I tried it AES. Mark I think those guys already had the first version of Deck - which Digidesign was selling - before Digi released PT. But maybe I should keep quiet, relying on memory is not something I want to bet on now :D But also I believe they were responsible for Alchemy which was quite cool for its time, and helped seduce me into some of this stuff...

-Sam

• 1 month later...
Ok well I'll get on the Hindenberg movie right after I finish the 12 hour mini series epic:

"The Richard Boddington Story."

It will have every thing, action, intrigue, drama, humour. And in the scenes involving 20,000 extras, real people.

Don't worry I plan to go easy on the nudity :)

R,

The Myth Busters are doing an episode on the Hindenburg to see wether or not it was the Hydrogen gas or the silver paint which was the real culprit in the disaster. Their model isn't too pretty but it may provide some useful information. I think it will also be a good demonstration of how fire scales.

The Myth Busters are doing an episode on the Hindenburg to see wether or not it was the Hydrogen gas or the silver paint which was the real culprit in the disaster. Their model isn't too pretty but it may provide some useful information. I think it will also be a good demonstration of how fire scales.

The silver paint, really aluminum, was a nitrocellose dope. As in nitrate base film.

Recall how the projection booths in old theatres are built like bunkers with steel shutters over the windows and the shutters are held up by strings that that go over the projetors?

From 'Aviation During World War One. Air Defence at Night:

All the aircraft carried woefully inadequate armament in the early years. Their proverbial inflammability not withstanding, Zeppelins were tough targets. The airship's enormous size was protection in its own right. There was so much hydrogen and so little air inside the hull that fires were extremely hard to start (the nitrocellulose dope on the hull fabric was probably a bigger fire hazard than the gas inside).

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%...l%20defence.htm

I've seen hydrogen burn. & have I burned my share of nitrate scraps.

Hydrogen burns with a pale blue, transparent flame.

Cellulose nitrate burns with a heavy, opaque, pale yellow flame.

Near the end of the Hindenberg fire footge, most of the airship is on the ground, but the nose still up it the air. There is a pale buning jet shooting out of the front of the nose. When it burns out, the nose falls to the ground. That, Herr Doktor Erd, is the hydrogen burning.

Does it look like the bulk of the flames?