Canon HD Primes Lens Set T1.5

darrin p nim

Hey guys, im shooting a car commercial spec in a few weeks, im still trying to figure out my camera budget, i need to figure out by this week. Im planning on shooting with an HVX, P+S and Zeiss SS's but it may turn out to be out of my budget. It how ever gives me what i want as far as quick play back, easy work flow, 35mm DOF, and etc, although i could work without the "film grain". I can get the HVX for free but the P+S and Zeiss lenses and acces. will cost me. Now Im considering the SDX because i can also get that for free but i am very opposed to using the Fujinon zoom lens that accompanies it because i want better glass. Birns & Sawyer has this Canon HD Cine Style Prime lenses set for a decent price, and i wanted to see if anyone has ever used them with the SDX and if they liked them or not. Im aware the SDX uses a B4 Lens mount and i am unsure if these Canons will mount but i can, at the moment, only assume they will.

Any opinions?

Any other HD Prime Lens sets that you would suggest for the SDX? Possibly with a Camera House in/around LA?

Thanks, D. Nim.

Edited by Darrin P Nim

I would love to shoot with the Zeiss DigiPrimes and be stress free knowing i had a set of great lenses but they are undoubtedly out of my budget. When you say that most rental houses have "them", you are refering to the Zeiss lenses? correct? Not the Canons? Im looking to get a very clean image and HD Primes can very much pull me away from the HVX. What are the Canons comparable to? You dont buy chance know of any other rental houses that have the Canon Prime Lens set? Id like to have a little variety to choose from plus I'm not exactly fond of Birns.

Edited by Darrin P Nim

• Premium Member
I would love to shoot with the Zeiss DigiPrimes and be stress free knowing i had a set of great lenses but they are undoubtedly out of my budget. When you say that most rental houses have "them", you are refering to the Zeiss lenses? correct? Not the Canons? Im looking to get a very clean image and HD Primes can very much pull me away from the HVX. What are the Canons comparable to? You dont buy chance know of any other rental houses that have the Canon Prime Lens set? Id like to have a little variety to choose from plus I'm not exactly fond of Birns.

Yes, the Zeiss are a bit easier to find on the rental market, I'm familiar with who has them since I use them all the time. The Canons will look fine, certainly better than HD ENG glass. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding other rental houses with them in LA, though I don't know specifically where to send you.

J

Hey guys, im shooting a car commercial spec in a few weeks, im still trying to figure out my camera budget, i need to figure out by this week. Im planning on shooting with an HVX, P+S and Zeiss SS's but it may turn out to be out of my budget. It how ever gives me what i want as far as quick play back, easy work flow, 35mm DOF, and etc, although i could work without the "film grain". I can get the HVX for free but the P+S and Zeiss lenses and acces. will cost me. Now Im considering the SDX because i can also get that for free but i am very opposed to using the Fujinon zoom lens that accompanies it because i want better glass. Birns & Sawyer has this Canon HD Cine Style Prime lenses set for a decent price, and i wanted to see if anyone has ever used them with the SDX and if they liked them or not. Im aware the SDX uses a B4 Lens mount and i am unsure if these Canons will mount but i can, at the moment, only assume they will.

Any opinions?

Any other HD Prime Lens sets that you would suggest for the SDX? Possibly with a Camera House in/around LA?

Thanks, D. Nim.

Just finished using the SDX 900 with the canon primes on the opening of a series in Canada. The rental was reasonable and lookinmg at the stufff in post it looks great. It is better than using a HD zoom lens. The nice thing about the canon lens is they can mount on without the 50 adapter. We had to make a lot of lens changes for different looks fairly quickly so that made a big difference. I had a street lit up with balloons and T12's so we shot wide open as much as possible to get the most depth of field. I plan on using the package again as I was really happy. Only drawback was all my stuff was hand held so getting past the no grip arm took a couple of minutes to get comfortable with.

Chris

• 7 months later...

So, tell me if I'm correct; Canon digi prime lenses do not require any mounting adaptor? I ask this because I shoot with the sdx900 alot and have always used the Canon eIFxs j22ex7.6b zoom lens. I would like to attach some nice glass. How will shooting with primes effect aspect ratio with the 900? Would I still have the option to shoot in both 4:3 and 16:9?

The Canon primes are B4 and mount directly to the camera. There is no change in aspect or depth, other than the lenses are very sharp and clean even wide open, which is better than any zoom and faster than any zoom. We have them available for rental and sale.

• 4 months later...

So you can get the full 35mm prime lens look (shallow DOF, etc.) with a set of primes without using any sort of adapter? How does that work? I thought you always had to have some sort of spinning ground glass element like the P+S Technik for the camera to focus on.

The spinning ground glass is just to add the filmic "look" ie grain. You need an adapter when shooting with 2/3" or 1/3" cameras because the 35 lens need a 35 sized focal plane. The adapter's ground glass gives you that 35 sized focal plane for the lens to focus on with their proper field of view and then squeezes/scales the image down before going through to the camera's CCD. As long as you have a 35 sensor size you don't need an adapter, hence the reason why a Genesis, D20, Red, etc can any use and 35 lens straight on the camera. Digi primes, like Zeiss or Canon, are built for 2/3" focal planes/CCD (f900, VariCam, etc...) and are also in B4 mount, not PL or Panvision mount like 35 cameras, so don't need an adapter but that said you don't get the simulated film grain. That's not so bad though as for large screen projection adapter soften things a little too much in my opinion. Hope that is accurate and helps.

Edited by Alex Worster

Helpful, but not entirely accurate.

The Canon HD primes referred to in this thread are designed to mount directly to the video camera. There is no change in depth of field or field of view. Mounting a 25mm digital prime will yield essentially the same image as mounting a regular video zoom and setting it to 25mm. The advantages of the primes are that they are incredibly sharp & clean and can usually open to a wider T-stop than the zooms. This will effectively allow you to reduce your depth of field but not to the same degree as using 35mm lens on an adapter.

The various adapters all generally work in the same way: A 35mm format lens projects it's image onto a surface that is then rephotographed by the camera. In the case of the P+S Techik products, the Red Rock, Brevis and others, a spinning ground glass is the imaging surface. It is spun to hide the grainy structure of the glass, not to emulate film grain (which is marketing crap). The MOVIEtube products use a microcrystalline surface (essentially a salt) that is so refined that it does not need to be moved to hide its structure.

All of these adapters eat light, which is the basic physics of rephotographing an image.

I'm going to shoot a short film with the SDX out in the desert (so light loss isn't really a concern for this situation), but I want the benefits of the adapter and 35mm lenses. I've used the P+S and Redrock on a DVX before, but not the MovieTube. How does that rate and what do most people recommend for the SDX? Thanks!

• Premium Member
I'm going to shoot a short film with the SDX out in the desert (so light loss isn't really a concern for this situation), but I want the benefits of the adapter and 35mm lenses. I've used the P+S and Redrock on a DVX before, but not the MovieTube. How does that rate and what do most people recommend for the SDX? Thanks!

Since the SDX has 2/3" CCDs, your best bet is probably the P+S Pro35 adapter. The MovieTube, RedRock, Brevis, and P+S Mini35 are all for 1/3" CCD cameras.