Uncompressed output, direct to disk??

Brandon Robinson

During a shoot, is the 'component out' signal truely uncompressed, or does it contain artifacts from dvcpro codec processing?

If you record to tape and playback through the component out, it does contain the artifacts, but I am wondering if the output during a shoot is more data, and can that be digitized to a disk directly?

During a shoot, is the 'component out' signal truely uncompressed, or does it contain artifacts from dvcpro codec processing?

If you record to tape and playback through the component out, it does contain the artifacts, but I am wondering if the output during a shoot is more data, and can that be digitized to a disk directly?

The easier (& cheaper way) is to record DVCPRO HD out through firewire (do a search here and other places).

Tape is DV. DV looks like... DV and is Lo-Rez.

I'd rather hook the camera to firewire first & record 1080p before checking the component route...

You can recor directly to your NLE. Super easy in FCP.

The camera was built to record to P2. (Yeah, I know. Those cards cost, but they really work very well...)

The component out is "uncompressed", but the jury is sorta out on how good it is. The connector is lousy at least, so I would rather not depend on that.

Gunleik

Most likely its not. Since all proccessing happens at a great bit rate inside one chip (I think 14 bit, but I am not sure on the HVX) its unlikely they provided a D/A converter in the same bit depth. What most likely happens, from a cost perspective, is the proccessor adjusts gama and color levels, then compresses in chip to whatever is being recorded. That in turn gets sent to the recording unit (tape or P2) and to a decoder that makes a composite or component signal. Since a similar translator is needed for the camera to play back pre-recorded data, its unlikely they provided more than one to deal with the uncompressed comming from the chip. That means compressed output.

If you are truely worried about true uncompressed HD or SD out, then your best bet would be the XH-1 from cannon, or their new HDV model, loosley based on the GL-2. They both have HD-SDI out. They are the only models I am aware of in that price range that has an SDI output. To record you do need a computer or HDCAM-SR deck on hand. Hope that helps.

Most likely its not. Since all proccessing happens at a great bit rate inside one chip (I think 14 bit, but I am not sure on the HVX) its unlikely they provided a D/A converter in the same bit depth. What most likely happens, from a cost perspective, is the proccessor adjusts gama and color levels, then compresses in chip to whatever is being recorded. That in turn gets sent to the recording unit (tape or P2) and to a decoder that makes a composite or component signal. Since a similar translator is needed for the camera to play back pre-recorded data, its unlikely they provided more than one to deal with the uncompressed comming from the chip. That means compressed output.

If you are truely worried about true uncompressed HD or SD out, then your best bet would be the XH-1 from cannon, or their new HDV model, loosley based on the GL-2. They both have HD-SDI out. They are the only models I am aware of in that price range that has an SDI output. To record you do need a computer or HDCAM-SR deck on hand. Hope that helps.

Thanks thats what I was looking for, I'll look into the XH-1