Good Kinor sites

James Steven Beverly

Anyone know of any good sites with info on Kinor 35mm cameras, specifically the 35H. I've been to Commiecam, Rafcamera and Olex's site, but none of them had everthing I was looking for although OIex's was particularly helpful and perhaps the most complete reguarding Kinors. I wanted to find out what is included in a complete package, more about the frame rate controllers, just a lot of little information. Also anyone know where can I get some round front anamorphic lenes, de-squeezer, and anamorphic gate at a decent price other than ebay which I'm already monitoring. In addition, I need an English manual for it. Rafcamera has one but I thought 40 bucks was a little pricey for a copy of the original that's missing a full section and a couple of pages but I may have to go that way if I can't find one elsewhere. Please let me know. Thanks-The Captain B)

Anyone know of any good sites with info on Kinor 35mm cameras, specifically the 35H. I've been to Commiecam, Rafcamera and Olex's site, but none of them had everthing I was looking for although OIex's was particularly helpful and perhaps the most complete reguarding Kinors. I wanted to find out what is included in a complete package, more about the frame rate controllers, just a lot of little information. Also anyone know where can I get some round front anamorphic lenes, de-squeezer, and anamorphic gate at a decent price other than ebay which I'm already monitoring. In addition, I need an English manual for it. Rafcamera has one but I thought 40 bucks was a little pricey for a copy of the original that's missing a full section and a couple of pages but I may have to go that way if I can't find one elsewhere. Please let me know. Thanks-The Captain B)

Hi Captain, I am presently running a website dedicated to the Konvas & Kinor camera's... The idea is to give owner operators a place to showcase thier gear & work aswell as a place for productions to look for owner operators. It is still new and people and myself are slowly adding to it. If you are interested in your own album and/or contributing drop me a line: steve@konvas.info

The website: http://www.konvas.info

Steve.

If you have technical questions can ask me.

The original user manual of Kinor-35 H camera on russian.

You can buy original user manual and study of russian or translate on english.

Kinor's can have very different set of accessories.

The russian LOMO round anamorphic lenses available for sell on e-buy.

About de-squeezer viewfinder, you can have problem, because, this is very rare device.

The anamorphic film gate delivery with special orders only, that's why, the many Kinors have no this device.

Any case, e-buy had a set of anamorphic film gate and anamorphic ground glass for Kinor-35 H camera for sell a some time ago.

Thanks Olex, One question I have is about the speed controlers, One has what looks like an antenna, what is this for, also will the other 2, the one that has a variable fram rate between 8 and 32 FPS and the one that has the 24 or 25 FPS, work with any Kinor 35H or are there different years for the electronics that only use certain controllers and is it desirable to have all three modules? Another question I had was lubrication. Where and how often do these caneras have to be lubed? I have heard the shaft in these cameras needed to be oiled once a day during a shoot and were mild steel as opposed to hardened steel and were somewhat prone to twisting when torqued. Is this true and if so what are steps that can be taken to help avoid this problem. Is it worth changing the shaft to a hardened steel one or is it mild steel to allow the shaft to twist so as not to tear up other componates inside the camera when over torqued? Also, what steps can be taken to help insure that one does not fry the electronics in the camera? I have heard they are the week link on the Kinors, is it prudent to have a back-up set of enectronics in the event of failure during a shoot? Thanks-Steve B)

• Premium Member

I also have heard from many people who know that the old electronics are unreliable. The best thing to do is simply replace them with something newer and better. Anders Banke in Sweden, http://www.solidentertainment.se/news.html and Bruce at arandafilm.com.au in Australia both offer modern conversions for about $2500. Here's a link to Steve Larsen's site with Mr. Banke's electronics

http://www.konvas.info/v/anders/

and Bruce's new site for the Kinor conversion is

http://www.kinor.arandafilm.com.au

The alternative is to bulk up on spare old electronics. That's what I'm doing with my spare body (for now). BTW, the anamorphic stuff is expensive and hard to come by. Steve Morton in Australia makes a 35H adapter for the Konvas deanamorphic viewfinder , but I do not know how well it works.

Bruce

I also have heard from many people who know that the old electronics are unreliable. The best thing to do is simply replace them with something newer and better. Anders Banke in Sweden, http://www.solidentertainment.se/news.html and Bruce at arandafilm.com.au in Australia both offer modern conversions for about $2500. Here's a link to Steve Larsen's site with Mr. Banke's electronics

http://www.konvas.info/v/anders/

and Bruce's new site for the Kinor conversion is

http://www.kinor.arandafilm.com.au

The alternative is to bulk up on spare old electronics. That's what I'm doing with my spare body (for now). BTW, the anamorphic stuff is expensive and hard to come by. Steve Morton in Australia makes a 35H adapter for the Konvas deanamorphic viewfinder , but I do not know how well it works.

Bruce

I have takem a look at the those guy's stuff and when I get som extra cash will probably see what I can do. Do you know how much Steve's adapter runs? I've seen his site but did see any prices.

Thanks Olex, One question I have is about the speed controlers, One has what looks like an antenna, what is this for, also will the other 2, the one that has a variable fram rate between 8 and 32 FPS and the one that has the 24 or 25 FPS, work with any Kinor 35H or are there different years for the electronics that only use certain controllers and is it desirable to have all three modules? Another question I had was lubrication. Where and how often do these caneras have to be lubed? I have heard the shaft in these cameras needed to be oiled once a day during a shoot and were mild steel as opposed to hardened steel and were somewhat prone to twisting when torqued. Is this true and if so what are steps that can be taken to help avoid this problem. Is it worth changing the shaft to a hardened steel one or is it mild steel to allow the shaft to twist so as not to tear up other componates inside the camera when over torqued? Also, what steps can be taken to help insure that one does not fry the electronics in the camera? I have heard they are the week link on the Kinors, is it prudent to have a back-up set of enectronics in the event of failure during a shoot? Thanks-Steve B)

The device, what looks like antenna can be module of show of a operating mode of camera( bulb ) and

generate of signal for synch sound recorder.

But, will be good, if you send me picture of this and other device.

The original electronics of Kinor have two crystal sync speed inside of camera, 24 fps and 25 fps.

If you need variable speeds 8-32 fps, you need connect additional module of speed control from top side of electronics. You can see additional port.

This is port use for connecting a additional modules with base electronics.

A some camera technicians modify of a module of variable speeds with LED display for count of films.

The camera can have module for connecting with outside video signal with adjust of phase of speed of camera and for connect with AC main power.

This modules use for synchronization of speed of camera with TV screen or with AC frequency ( HMI lighters).

About lubrication.

Kinor-35H delicate camera and need permanent service.

The every professional cine camera need permanent service too, because, this is complex of high precision optical and mechanical parts.

The user manual wrote :

The initial service must be every 300 m of film and must included clean of film gate and waiting not less 3 minutes.

After every 3000 m of film, you need clean and lubricate of transport mechanism.

We made full service and lubricate of camera before long time shooting, test camera and lenses on collimator.

The wide service make after long time shooting too.

About main shaft from mild steel this is " the same old story".

The all parts of transport mechanism have hardened steel, but, The parts of mechanism have very small gaps and if the mechanism have no oil, the parts will heat up, will amplify, and will jam.

I repaired jammed the mechanism . but, this mechanism had no service long time and had no any oil and have many dust.

If you will love of your camera and love make a service, the camera will work good.

The only problme can give you petulance (play up )of original electronics.

About electronics.

The many Kinor's have individual electronics. Yes, the base ideas of electronics compatible, but, a details can be different. The matter is that, the electronics of Kinor have many small modifications and can be not compatible.

I know many cases, what modules from one camera not work with other.

If the camera work good, not need overheat or supercool of camera.

The shooting of inside of studio, the best place for use of Kinor-35. The shooting on landscape can give you many surprise.

Kinor love no a high humidity.

My base recommendation about electronics-replace on modern microprocessor control.

I did not see a modified cameras from other repair labs on the inside ,

that's why, I can not tell you any about this version of modifications.

This is XTAL or PID speed control or other.

But, if you will need of my opinion, i can recommend very good version of modification of electronics on St-Petersburg. This is microprocessor with fixed crystal sync speeds or with synthesizer of speed with steps 0.1, 0.01, 0.002 fps, film couter and other technical possibilities.

• Premium Member
I have takem a look at the those guy's stuff and when I get som extra cash will probably see what I can do. Do you know how much Steve's adapter runs? I've seen his site but did see any prices.

I think I wrote to him about 3 months ago and he said the kinor/konvas deanamorphic adapter was $300.

The device, what looks like antenna can be module of show of a operating mode of camera( bulb ) and

generate of signal for synch sound recorder.

But, will be good, if you send me picture of this and other device.

The original electronics of Kinor have two crystal sync speed inside of camera, 24 fps and 25 fps.

If you need variable speeds 8-32 fps, you need connect additional module of speed control from top side of electronics. You can see additional port.

This is port use for connecting a additional modules with base electronics.

A some camera technicians modify of a module of variable speeds with LED display for count of films.

The camera can have module for connecting with outside video signal with adjust of phase of speed of camera and for connect with AC main power.

This modules use for synchronization of speed of camera with TV screen or with AC frequency ( HMI lighters).

About lubrication.

Kinor-35H delicate camera and need permanent service.

The every professional cine camera need permanent service too, because, this is complex of high precision optical and mechanical parts.

The user manual wrote :

The initial service must be every 300 m of film and must included clean of film gate and waiting not less 3 minutes.

After every 3000 m of film, you need clean and lubricate of transport mechanism.

We made full service and lubricate of camera before long time shooting, test camera and lenses on collimator.

The wide service make after long time shooting too.

About main shaft from mild steel this is " the same old story".

The all parts of transport mechanism have hardened steel, but, The parts of mechanism have very small gaps and if the mechanism have no oil, the parts will heat up, will amplify, and will jam.

I repaired jammed the mechanism . but, this mechanism had no service long time and had no any oil and have many dust.

If you will love of your camera and love make a service, the camera will work good.

The only problme can give you petulance (play up )of original electronics.

About electronics.

The many Kinor's have individual electronics. Yes, the base ideas of electronics compatible, but, a details can be different. The matter is that, the electronics of Kinor have many small modifications and can be not compatible.

I know many cases, what modules from one camera not work with other.

If the camera work good, not need overheat or supercool of camera.

The shooting of inside of studio, the best place for use of Kinor-35. The shooting on landscape can give you many surprise.

Kinor love no a high humidity.

My base recommendation about electronics-replace on modern microprocessor control.

I did not see a modified cameras from other repair labs on the inside ,

that's why, I can not tell you any about this version of modifications.

This is XTAL or PID speed control or other.

But, if you will need of my opinion, i can recommend very good version of modification of electronics on St-Petersburg. This is microprocessor with fixed crystal sync speeds or with synthesizer of speed with steps 0.1, 0.01, 0.002 fps, film couter and other technical possibilities.

I'm gping to have to do a lot of the matinance myself as we have no motion picure camera shops in El Paso and I can't afford to ship the thing to Russia or the Ukraine right now. If you can could you post some pictures indicating ehrtr one should lubricate these Kinors on a regular basis at and any other matainece point to be checked regularly? Thanks in advance. I would love to have the lenses collumated but that will have to wait. There's a collumation bench for sale on ebay right now and I am tempted to get it and figure out how to use it along the way but will probably not do that as I think the money would be better spent elseware right now. Here is a pic of the module I was talking about. tell me what you think

Ok, for some reason, it won't let me attach the pic.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I think I wrote to him about 3 months ago and he said the kinor/konvas deanamorphic adapter was $300.

So that's about 6 hundred bucks including the Knovas desqeezer. The original OEM desqueezer goes for about 4 to 5 hundred, but the problem is finding one. It's good to know there's an alternetive out there In the eventy I can't come up with an original one. Thanks B)

I'm gping to have to do a lot of the matinance myself as we have no motion picure camera shops in El Paso and I can't afford to ship the thing to Russia or the Ukraine right now. If you can could you post some pictures indicating ehrtr one should lubricate these Kinors on a regular basis at and any other matainece point to be checked regularly? Thanks in advance. I would love to have the lenses collumated but that will have to wait. There's a collumation bench for sale on ebay right now and I am tempted to get it and figure out how to use it along the way but will probably not do that as I think the money would be better spent elseware right now. Here is a pic of the module I was talking about. tell me what you think

Ok, for some reason, it won't let me attach the pic.

The base idea, the service and lubricating of a camera must do camera technician or person with experience.

If you open of cover of transport mechanism, you can see red screw inside of centre a white gear.

You need unscrew of this screw, this is screw-top. You need set a few drops of oil.

This is point of lubricate of friction bearing of main axis of transport mechanism and cam and lever of registration pin.

Next - pin of cardan. You can see hole from upper side of cardan.

Next - the rubbing surfaces of transport and registration pins.

Next - the swing axis of transport pin, you can see hole from upper side.

Next - rear size of axis of registation pin, on second side of control lever. You need special oil-can with bent needle.

And more other.

You can see, this is not simply procedure.

If you set small volume of oil, the mechanism can jam, if you set many oil, the oil can get to film or mix with dust.

That's why, the procedure of cleaning of mechanism very important until of lubricating.

About collumation bench for sale on ebay , i don't know, But, the optical bench have too big weight, near 300..500 kg and have length near 4 m.

The auto collimator can be 8..15 kg weight. I know small edition of collimator with weight 3..5 kg.

Any case, the formula " big weight - high precision " work with collimator very good.

That's why, plastic collimator, not collimator, this is toys.

This is insane but this is the largest pic oi could post. I must be doing something wrong. It says Global Space Left: 660bytes and I had to reduce it to this. This is the control module I was speaking about.

I don't can see.

You can clean of your space for pictures on forum and load picture with big size, or

send picture with big size on the my e-mail olex@a-teleport.com

I just wanted everyone to know, I did email Olex and he was very helpful in giving me information. The three modules are for :

1. The one that I have with an antenna is a sound sync module that sends a signal to a radio receiver on the sound recorder (Nagra ect.) that emits a tone abd a bloop light when the camera is started. (I need to find a receiver for this thing to use with my Nagra!)

2. the next has an LCD read out. It is used for varying the camera FPS from 8 to 32.

3. the third type has 2 cable ports and is used to sync a camera with the recorder using cables, with a TV frame rate and/or with the camera's wall outlet power supply.

I just wanted to share this information and publicly thank Olex for his help! Thank you, Sir! B)