Green Screen Vs Scotchlite

James Erd

Has any one here ever used both systems? What did you like about each system? What do you dislike?

I have and old Scotchlite which I am thinking about using to composite live action with some animated backgrounds. I could also go with the green screen but I am shooting this one on mini DV. With the Scotchlite I don't have to mask anything out or worry about spill.

Has any one here ever used both systems? What did you like about each system? What do you dislike?

I have and old Scotchlite which I am thinking about using to composite live action with some animated backgrounds. I could also go with the green screen but I am shooting this one on mini DV. With the Scotchlite I don't have to mask anything out or worry about spill.

Shooting on mini dv i think your biggest battle is going to be compression. I've never had an easy time of it with mini dv. the block compression loves to alias. Only way i've seen people get around it is to super blur their edges for a "stylized" look.

Shooting on mini dv i think your biggest battle is going to be compression. I've never had an easy time of it with mini dv. the block compression loves to alias. Only way i've seen people get around it is to super blur their edges for a "stylized" look.

I'm leaning toward using the scotchlite since I already have it. I originally bought to do in camera compositing on film. I've been wanting to try it out, and considering the difficulties with mini DV, I may as well give it a try.

I'm not to sure about the projection side of things though. I can render the plate in at whatever resolution I need but then I have to project it on to the screen. The thing I don't know is if I will run into problems with sync between my DV camera and the projector. May be it is better to rent the HD camera for a day.