Can i Convert a Mitchell Standard to 2 Perf?

scott fullmer

I would like to convert my Mitchell standard (GC) into a 2 perf Camera IF I can do that Cheaply

I also Hope to make a Motor that is NOT so huge I can run on 12 or 24 volts and still get 128 FPS as I shoot Mostly Back contry in Snow traveling by Snowmobile

any suggestions

I would like to convert my Mitchell standard (GC) into a 2 perf Camera IF I can do that Cheaply

I also Hope to make a Motor that is NOT so huge I can run on 12 or 24 volts and still get 128 FPS as I shoot Mostly Back contry in Snow traveling by Snowmobile

any suggestions

You'd be looking at a few thousand easily for the conversion. And note, a GC is not a Standard. As for motor, I've seen a lot of options out there, some smaller than others, but none really being portable. The Mitchell is a heavyweight by any measure.

• Premium Member

any suggestions

Hi,

Search the archives, Bruce in Australia recently converted a GC (Fries conversion) for a member here. I understand the cost was about $5,000. No company in the US wanted to do the conversion!

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hey Scott,

Bruce McNaughton at Aranda Film Group is the only place left on the planet (as far as I could find) that will knock a GC down from 4 to 2 perf. The reason is: the main gear is all one peice of metal with the cam, drive shaft, and bearing race. It's a real SOB to have cut and done so accurately. It's not just the cut, it's also the hand lapping and certainty of fit without backlash. If you do, indeed, have a GC, then you posses the hardest cam to have converted to 2 perf on this planet. I got into this pickle because I bought a Fries 35R3. It is a converted GC. While I have kicked myself in many ways on my decision to buy this camera before getting a real estimate on conversion, I must admit that I will have a rather fine and multi-speed camera, even if it is on the heavy side and requires blimping.

If you haven't bought the GC yet, I would recommend you go with a different body to begin with. Bruce can cut you some 2 perf works for a Konvas, Arri, or dang near anything. All of the old Mitchell rack-overs can be a little clumsy to work with, not to mention being about as big and heavy as a Sherman tank.