Removing 12-120mm Zoom from Beaulieu R16

William Lin

Someone gave me a Beaulieu R16 with the 12-120mm zoom on it. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the lens to put on a different C-mount lens. Anybody know how?

thanks,

William

Hello William,

Since you say it's a R16 then it's a self reflexed camera therefor all you do is unscrew the lens in a counter clockwise direction (when viewed from the front of the camera) and the lens should dismount in about three full turns. If the lens has it's own reflex viewing eyepiece it's mounted to a seperate piece called a "C" cup and the lens is removed by turning the large ring just in front of the silver colored piece atached to the camera in a counter clockwise manner. To remove a "C" cup requires a special wrench refered to as a "T" wrench.

Chuck

Hello William,

Since you say it's a R16 then it's a self reflexed camera therefor all you do is unscrew the lens in a counter clockwise direction (when viewed from the front of the camera) and the lens should dismount in about three full turns. If the lens has it's own reflex viewing eyepiece it's mounted to a seperate piece called a "C" cup and the lens is removed by turning the large ring just in front of the silver colored piece atached to the camera in a counter clockwise manner. To remove a "C" cup requires a special wrench refered to as a "T" wrench.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. Mine does not want to unscrew. I also see a metal piece running from the bottom of the zoom lens to the thing sticking out right under it that says "Beaulieu" and "Automatic".

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. Mine does not want to unscrew. I also see a metal piece running from the bottom of the zoom lens to the thing sticking out right under it that says "Beaulieu" and "Automatic".

William.

I take it from your reply that it is a straight 10x12 Ang. zoom lens and not one with and intergal finder as part of the lens. Not sure what you mean by a metal piece running from the bottom of the lens. Do you mean the threaded part that screws into the camera body? If you can see threads on the lens mount showing perhaps the lens was cross threaded when last mounted and is now stuck and won't turn either way. If you could post a photo or two myself or one of the other techs on this site might be able to offer some suggestions for removal of the lens. Whatever you do don't get to heavy handed trying to break it lose as the lens mount plates on the R16's are rather thin and you would not want to tweak it.

Chuck

I believe William is talking about either the auto-zoom, or auto-exposure studs, or both which later R16 had. They are positioned to turn the geared rings on the Angenieux. They have no effect on removing the lens.

Just turn the lens as Chuck says to remove it.

I forgot! Make sure the zoom lock is released, on the stud.

Edited by Mike Rizos

Turn zoom ring of the lens counterclockwise. The confusing thing with these later R16's is that you tend to want to grasp something close to the mount itself, but if you do that, it won't turn. If you turn the zoom ring (having first turned iris motor setting to "semi" and zoom motor to "stop"), it should come off fairly easily. Unless someone has really tightened the hell out of it. It's hard to get the hang of it the first time, but then it's easy.

Turn zoom ring of the lens counterclockwise. The confusing thing with these later R16's is that you tend to want to grasp something close to the mount itself, but if you do that, it won't turn. If you turn the zoom ring (having first turned iris motor setting to "semi" and zoom motor to "stop"), it should come off fairly easily. Unless someone has really tightened the hell out of it. It's hard to get the hang of it the first time, but then it's easy.

Joe,

That did the trick! Thanks! The problem was, as you suggested, that I was grabbing the lens very close to the body.

William