Super 8 optics

anton foy

Hello everyone!

Im new here and I have just bought my first Super-8 camera (Canon 310XL...maybe it sucks but it's a start).

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a Super 8 camera that get's the sharpest picture quality.

I have heard some who says that Canon 1014 has very good optics that will get a great sharp picture quality.

Will 24 fps give a sharper quality than 18 fps or will a faster shutter-speed?

Well, thank you in advance, I'll be very happy for any answers :)

• Premium Member

Well, technically running the camera at 24 fps instead of 18 fps IS using a faster shutter speed. I used to shoot all my Super-8 stuff at 24 fps because of the increased information (more motion samples therefore less strobing, average grain seems reduced because more frames are being flashed per second, etc.)

If your shutter angle is fixed, let's say at 180 degrees, then your shutter speed at 18 fps is 1/36th of a second and at 24 fps, it is 1/48th of a second.

Do any Super-8 cameras have variable shutters? I'm not aware of any.

Some "XL" cameras (I believe XL stands for "exisiting light") have shutters which are more open than 180 degrees, more like 230 degrees. Plus faster lenses and less light-robbing reflex viewfinding systems.

The Canon 814 and 1014 XLS cameras are probably the best I've used as far as optical quality, and versatility. They were the last super8 cameras Canon made, so the lenses are fairly new compared to most others. I just watched some footage this weekend that I shot for fun with my 814 XLs and was really amazed at how well it came out. Their were some shots that were directly back lit with the sun in the frame, and there was no flaring, or veiling in the image, and good contrast.

The XLs cameras have two shutter settings 150 deg., and 220 deg. It will not let you select anything in between though.

And the lenses are an f1.4 so they are pretty fast.

The Nikon R-8 and R-10 cameras are also on the same level as far as optical quality goes, but the viewfinders aren't as clear, and some of the functions are a little more difficult to use. It also weighs a ton for what they are.

Nizo cameras also seem to be really nice, and well built, but they aren't as common in the US, so they tend to be more expensive then the canons and nikons.

Once you see your first roll projected, prepare to fall in love with film.

I'm too young to remember the days of super8 home movies, so I had never seen anything but home videos before I decided to buy my first camera. It's absolutely amazing how much better projected super8 looks then most video cameras these days.

Have fun with it. The 310XL will treat you just fine.

Ryan

Thank you very much Ryan and David!

BTW Ryan if it's possible I would love to see samples of your last footage (if they're scanned), if else would you happen to know where to find Hi-res super8 pics on the net?

Thanks again :D !

I think there are some topics somewhere else in this forum that have links to the various super8 sites with lots of samples, and tons of information. I'm not sure which ones off hand though.

Sorry no scanned samples of my footage. I watched it the best way possible... from a 20 year old projector...

Ryan

The Nikon R-10 has a variable shutter.

It also doesn't weigh "a ton". It's built like a tank, out of metal instead of plastic, but still, it's probably like 4 pounds or something.

Not bad at all.

The Canon 1014's have good glass.

I'd say the R-10 is the best optics, but the Canon 1014 is probably not far behind.

I did some tests with the R-10, the Canon 1014XL-S and the Nizo 801, and the R-10 looked quite a bit better, especially in low light, which is interesting, since it's not an XL model.

Gotta love that Nikkor glass!!!!!!!

Matt Pacini

The Nikon R-10 has a variable shutter.

It also doesn't weigh "a ton". It's built like a tank, out of metal instead of plastic, but still, it's probably like 4 pounds or something.

Not bad at all.

The Canon 1014's have good glass.

I'd say the R-10 is the best optics, but the Canon 1014 is probably not far behind.

I did some tests with the R-10, the Canon 1014XL-S and the Nizo 801, and the R-10 looked quite a bit better, especially in low light, which is interesting, since it's not an XL model.

Gotta love that Nikkor glass!!!!!!!

Matt Pacini

Hi there-

another camera with a variable shutter is the Minolta autopak D-10 (and D-12). These are great cameras, lotsa features and good lenses.

The sharpest lens I've ever seen on a super-8 is the Nikon Super-Zoom 8x. It's got a tiny viewfinder, but the images were sharper than any other super-8 i've ever used, and i mean by a long shot!

...and the nice thing is that these seem to be "sleeper" cameras, they tend to sell pretty cheap!

Hi,

Another Super8 cam with variable shutter, the Nizo professional. It also has the excellent 80mm Schneider zoom lens (which has better coating than the 80mm lens on the Nizo 6080, apparently)

The Beaulieu 4008ZM also has a variable shutter, and I absolutely love the 8-64 Angenieux zoom often found with these cameras. it produces beautiful images, but of course being interchangeable on these cameras, if you don't like it you can always use a different lens.

The ground glass focusing is also a good feature, although I would say the Beaulieus are slower to use than many other Super8 cams.

Matt.

• Premium Member

Has anyone tried 2/3" HD lenses on S-8? The HD frame is only slightly larger, so it should work quite well. A few years out when large chip HD takes over, those now costly lenses might come on the market for cheap.

-- J.S.

Glad you like the 6080 Zaefod.

Oh boy, now I'm suffereing my separation anxiety all over again!

That was a hard camera to part with.

6080's are bitchen little machines! Nice glass, and really quiet.

Get the Nizo UWIII wide angle adapter, and you'll be amazed at how sharp it is, and it brings you an even wider image.

Really cool accessory. I'm using mine on my Canon Scoopic M (16mm).

Matt Pacini

There's an interesting discussion on this thread about at what f-stop a certain camera gives a sharper or softer image

I think this is the issue. I definitely notice with my Canon 814XLS that it softens up as the aperture opens. We did not set a particular F-stop as a goal but I reckon most of the film was shot at about 2.8 (and mostly with the Nikon R10). It was a very run-and-gun shoot with minimal lighting but we usually made a point of trying to get at least a 2 or 2.8. Occassionally we likely fell below that and these are probably the main culprits in question. Outdoors we didn't have any ND so those were probably shot at 5.6-11 range. In retrospect we probably should have tried to stay more consistent, and lit for 5.6 or so. Next time...

Scot

Yeah, well you know how it is.

Sometimes the bill collector shows up in his Grim Reaper outfit, and you just have to sacrifice.

Selling the 6080 seemed a better option than selling a kidney to raise money.

... although I did have to think about it for a while!

Matt Pacini

Hello everyone!

Im new here and I have just bought my first Super-8 camera (Canon 310XL...maybe it sucks but it's a start).

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a Super 8 camera that get's the sharpest picture quality.

I have heard some who says that Canon 1014 has very good optics that will get a great sharp picture quality.

Will 24 fps give a sharper quality than 18 fps or will a faster shutter-speed?

Well, thank you in advance, I'll be very happy for any answers :)

Hi...

I am a Canon fan with a Canon 1014XL-S and a Canon Auto Zoom 814. I just picked up a Caon 310XL and just love it. It is *so small* it can fit in the palm of your hand!

I am looking for a on line manual for this camera, but can't seem to find one. Did your camera come with a manual? I found reprints available for about $10.00, but i am too broke to pay that price.

I would like to shoot some Ektachrome 7240 in it, but I need to check the manual first to see if the camera can take outdoor ASA 80 film. Do you know?

Sure is a small camera. It is currently my fav.

jack in Portland Oregon

• Premium Member

Super-8 cartridges are notched to tell the camera what ASA the film stock is, but usually the choices are only 40 ASA, 160 ASA, and perhaps 400 ASA (?). Any stock inbetween those speeds will probably have the cartridge notched for the closest ASA rating (for example, Vision 200T is probably notched for 160 ASA -- same for Ektachrome 7240, which is 125 ASA but most Super-8 cameras probably expose it at 160 ASA.)

I guess some of the high-end Super-8 cameras allow you to input an ASA rating for the internal metering system; otherwise you may need to use a separate light meter.

Ektachrome 7240 is tungsten-balanced and 125 ASA; you'd normally switch in the camera's internal 85 filter to convert it for daylight, which gets you the 80 ASA rating.

• Premium Member

Standard SMPTE 166 specifies the Super-8 cartridge notching system.

When the filter notch is out, the daylight film speeds are:

10, 16, 25, 40, 64, 100, 160, 250, 400

When the filter notch is in, the tungsten film speeds are:

16, 25, 40, 64, 100, 160, 250, 400, 640

• 2 months later...
Hi...

I am a Canon fan with a Canon 1014XL-S and a Canon Auto Zoom 814.  I just picked up a Caon 310XL and just love it.  It is *so small* it can fit in the palm of your hand!

I am looking for a on line manual for this camera, but can't seem to find one.  Did your camera come with a manual?  I found reprints available for about $10.00, but i am too broke to pay that price.

I would like to shoot some Ektachrome 7240 in it, but I need to check the manual first to see if the camera can take outdoor ASA 80 film.  Do you know?

Sure is a small camera.  It is currently my fav.

jack in Portland Oregon

Here you go, the online Canon 310XL Instruction Manual

I got one to. It's a great little camera. :)

I don't own a 310XL, but will bet it's a great lense. I have the Canon 512XL, and the 814XL-S, and the 1014E. have to say the 512XL (1.2 lense, 220 shutter) brings out the best colors on overcast days with K-40. The 310XL will give even more exposure. portability is key too. the 512 was my first camera and i still use it.

Edited by Skratch