100D: S8/DS8

Anthony Schilling

I recieved some processed reels od 100D yesterday... 1 spool of DS8, and 2 carts of Wittner. After projecting, I again have to say this stock is totally amazing. So fine grain, and the colors just pop like crazy. One thing I noticed is that the DS8 footage looked a little richer and cleaner... maybe due to being fresher or less exposure to xrays by not coming from overseas... although the Wittner stock still looked really good. My point is, fresh 100D projected on a super 8 frame is mind blowing compared to any other Kodak reversal film the format has ever used. Looks like Spectra is getting ready to offer it in S8 carts, so I'm pretty excited for fresh 100D in all my cams!

Edited by Anthony Schilling

• Premium Member

If you have any of the less expensive super-8 cameras that are either all automatic or only shoot at 18 frames per second it would be interesting if you could shoot a few feet in those cameras during the mid day sun to see

how if the film overexposes or not.

Kodak's concern about 100 D is that it is two stops more sensitive than Kodachrome 40 was for outdoors shooting so if one normally shot Kodachrome 40 (aka 25 ASA outdoors) outdoors at f-8/f11, adding two stops to that would basically cause many cameras to completely stop down and perhaps let no light in!

What were your technical specs for shooting the 100D in terms of frames per second and f-stop?

This time of year, I don't think that i have gone over F16 on the sunniest of afternoons with 100D. I was shooting between f5.6 and 8 on a mostly sunny afternoon a few weeks ago. Bright summer days would be a different story. But the way I see it, 100ASA is a lot more versitile... it has the speed I need in Nov-Apr, and in the summer i can use ND filters or a faster shutter in really bright conditions. Slower films tend to be grainy and underexposed during the long winter months. If Kodak is leaning toward more professional and novice use of S8, 100D is too good to ignore.

We have to start a petition to Kodak to have the 100D in 50' super8 cartridges like official Kodak stock!!!

By this way the price will cheaper!

That would be nice. Thise who have not used it don't know what they are missing. It would put the format on a new level, because this stock is on a much higher level than K40 and 64T.

Where can this film be found, and how much will it cost?

We have to start a petition to Kodak to have the 100D in 50' super8 cartridges like official Kodak stock!!!

By this way the price will cheaper!

I believe that can be done at filmshooting.com, if you like I'll see if I can start one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shutter bug

the reason the ds8 footage looked so 'clean' is due to far more precise registration. you will notice edges are much sharper too. do a maxi8 conversion and youll find the image will improve even more significantly

Well now kodak is officially perfing it for small guage

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN120306_Q.pdf

Its not cut in 8mm but perfed for reg 8 and DS8 in 400ft spools. that way small businesses will be cutting, slitting, loading, and we'll be able to get FRESH 100D in reg8, DS8, and Super 8!