Fake snow

joe wigdahl

Can anyone recommend different products available to use for fake snow. I'm shooting an outdoor scene, fairly closeup and I'd like to have the suggestion of light snowfall in the shot- I don't need accumulation or anything because the shot is mainly from the shoulders up- the snowflakes will be out of focus- mainly it would be great if the snowflakes twinkled a little bit.

Can anyone recommend different products available to use for fake snow. I'm shooting an outdoor scene, fairly closeup and I'd like to have the suggestion of light snowfall in the shot- I don't need accumulation or anything because the shot is mainly from the shoulders up- the snowflakes will be out of focus- mainly it would be great if the snowflakes twinkled a little bit.

A good low-budget solution is potato flakes. You can get them in a big cereal sized cardboard box for

two bucks at the supermarket. Have somebody on a ladder and backlight them (or not) to your liking.

I've had people recommend Ivory soap flakes and potato flakes but here's my problem- I'm going to be shooting outside and it's supposed to be very damp so I'm worried about the snow degrading on the actors and turning into bubbles or potato mush. Any ideas?

Hi,

Ah, potato flakes and karo syrup - two foodstuffs which seem to support a large proportion of the special effects done on low-budget movies in the US, and which I've never seen on sale anywhere else.

Phil

They actually make a plastic fake snow just for this purpose. Sence your shot is tight and you don't see the ground or background, you can put the talent on a tarp and reuse the stuff over and over. It's not that expensive to begin with for a small bag. Check FX suippliers. They should have it. You could also use syrofoam dust. Saw some styrofoam packing material up and you'll get a lot of paticles. It's a lot of work and a pain to work with and clean up BUT it's free! B)