sunset lighting

i am curious if anyone woulf know how to duplicate a sunset. im shooting a 16 mm film in a few weeks and i am curious if you would use an HMI with some cto. its just a localized effect comming through a windowonto a bench. im just looking for that golden color or somthing similar. if anyone has done something similar please HELP ME OUT!!! thx

Dan

• Premium Member

Stand by for a zillion different answers...... B)

For a 'tabletop' type shot I'd probably start with an 2.5k Par with half cto or straw bounced into a 4x4 rosco soft gold.

Cheaper option would be a tungsten unit, but I do find something very natural and forgiving about gold bounce light rather that direct cto or tungsten units.

A shot like that you could probably do 5 versions in as many minutes...play with it.

Take a look at a natural location at sunset and see how the light plays. Is it pink or orange? Where does the fill light come from? Does it bounce of the floor or a wall. Is it as warm as the sunset light. Half the fun of being a cinematographer is observing the world around you. Look at the angle a sunset enters a room. And have fun.

It really depends on the color you want from the light. I'd take as large a tungsten light as you afford and place it outseide the window and then gel it. You might like a layer or two of CTO, perhaps mixed with some CTS (straw), Lee 101 (golden yellow) or perhaps something else. Grab a swatch book from wherever you buy your gels and start playing.

It can be important to "sell" the effect with some indicators to the audience. One light on the actors and another light splashing the wall or floor behind them, perhaps through a cardboard cutout that resembles a window shape.