Printing Up

Ashim

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'd like to know what would be the effect of exposing the negative perfectly(18% gray) and then

printing it "up" during timing.

Thank You

Printing "up" means printing the image to look brighter. This means using lower printer light numbers. Depending on how low the numbers get, the image can start to have milkier blacks and more grain.

Printing "up" means printing the image to look brighter. This means using lower printer light numbers. Depending on how low the numbers get, the image can start to have milkier blacks and more grain.

Sir,

Assuming I have a perfectly exposed negative, which shld print in the 30-40 range, I print it up. I use the lower numbers 15-17-19. How can I get a Brighter image when I am pumping less light through the negative onto the print film.

Kindly clarify,

Thank You

• Premium Member
Sir,

Assuming I have a perfectly exposed negative, which shld print in the 30-40 range, I print it up. I use the lower numbers 15-17-19. How can I get a Brighter image when I am pumping less light through the negative onto the print film.

Kindly clarify,

Thank You

Because you have to think backwards when dealing with negative...

Print film is basically a negative film -- it's making a negative from a negative, which means it ends up as a positive image. And the more light you add to print film, the darker it gets. Ever expose a piece of b&w printing paper to light and develop it? It becomes darker.

The thinner (less exposed) a negative is, the easier it is for the printing light to pass through it, so you have to use lower numbers to compensate. The denser (more exposed) a negative is, the more light you have to pump through it.

So printing a negative to end up looking like a brighter positive image means using less light when printing.