JAMES GLENNON, ASC

JOHN LONGENECKER

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever had the pleasure to meet Jim Glennon, you would have a friend for life. He was generous with his time and treated everyone he came into contact with the same courtesy and interest.

My favorite memory is a commercial project Jim did with us (AckermanBenson) that took us to the mountains and plains of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The campaign was for Chevron and J. Walter Thompson, San Francisco. We were to track and photograph a herd of elk who at the time were to give birth their babies in the wild. That's a project that obviously called for great patience and ingenuity. I realized Jim was the perfect choice.

One particular shot was designed to move the camera 60 feet off the ground, across a wooded canyon, through the trees, and lowering down into the elks' nesting area. Jim supervised and designed an all day rigging of cables, pulleys and various gear secured from a yacht supply store. When it came time to test the traveling rig, Jim loaded it with sand bags to simulate the weight of the operator. Jim was a big guy and the sandbags he was loading looked more like the weight of the assistant cameraman. I could see the AC's face turn flush and Jim looked at him with that great smile and said "You always wanted to be an operator, right?"

We'll miss you Jim.

Gregg Ackerman