Fujichrome Velvia

Shawn Gallagher

Hi Everyone,

I heard that Fujichrome Velvia has comparable characteristics to the discontinued Kodachrome small guage motion picture films, but I haven't been able to locate any 16mm or super-8 stocks. Has this stock been discontinued as well or am I just not looking in the right place?

I'm especially looking for a fujichrome 16mm stock that has saturated colors similar to Kodachrome, but if I have to I can work in super-8. Also if you can suggest any other stocks with the color quality of Kodachrome, that would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And, as always, thanks for your time and expertise!

I believe that Spectra in the US sells Fujichrome Velvia 50 in super 8.

If you want a Fuji slow speed film with saturated colours in 16mm, there is 64D though this is a negative film rather than a reversal film. Another 16mm neg film with similar characteristics is Kodak 50D.

If you really want a reversal film with intense colour saturation in 16mm, then look no further than Kodak Ektachrome 100D which is also available in super 8 format from various sources such as Pro8mm and Wittner. Though at least one person who lived outside of Europe who ordered the Wittner super 8 100D reported that he found the exposed footage slightly foggy, possibly due to x-ray scanning in the international delivery.

Though you should be able to order Ektachrome 100D in 16mm directly from Kodak for fresh stock and optimum quality results.