Inspirational Cinematographers.

Matthew Buick

When I was a kid, Guy Green's images in David Lean's "Great Expectations" which was on TV every Christmas it seems struck some kind of chord in me as well as Loyal Griggs' work in "Shane" and I started taking still photographs with a Rolleiflex TLR that my uncle won in a card game during WWII.

Of course production levels like this were unthinkable when I finally got a super8 camera and started making little films.

Much later when I got started with 16mm I was looking at and was impressed (still am!) with:

Raoul Coutard's work with Godard in the 1960's.

Owen Roizman's work especially on "French Connection" and "Taking of Pelham 123".

Adam Holender's work especially on "Panic in Needle Park" and "Midnight Cowboy".

Gordon Willis' work on "Klute" and the "The Godfather"

Vadim Yusov's work with Tarkovsky especially "Stalker"

Now the list could go and on...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Ballhaus. The man who helped give Scorsese his second wind in the 80s and 90s. Goodfellas, Age of Innocence, Dracula, Departed, Gangs of New York - Ballhaus is one of the all-time greats.

• Premium Member

Firstly I really enjoy the work of Conrad Hall, as I see many other people here do. That said I would say the most inspirational to me has been Emanuel Lubezki. I find his often naturalistic/documentary approach to cinematography to be quite beautiful. I'm sure most people now know him for his work on Children of Men, but I think equally well shot, though somewhat different was Y Tu Mama Tambien.

• 4 weeks later...

So many of my inspirational cinematographers and their films have already been mentioned. My biggest inpiration really does follow this earlier quote.

I found that it was not always the most famous DP's that were the most instructive, but often some midlevel studio or TV DP who was kind enough to spend the time explaining things to me, and had a solid understanding of the principles of cinematography and could communicate them clearly.

I would like to thank Terry Burnes, David Marshall, Mark Chapman and Roger Lanser who 20 years ago worked in the Cinecamera department at the Australian Broadcasting Corperation. Their passion for film and its possibilities was addictive. I will always be greatfull for their advice and training of their new assistant. Unfortunatly for me, the arrival of SP Beta and with it reduced crew sizes meant no more assistant within the year.

I have to thank Mark and Roger, for their continuing support, knowledge, access to equipment, pulling me out of retirement! and most importantly critism of my lighting style. Thankyou so much for your valuable time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say Robert Richardson is on top of my list right now. The work he did on Snow Falling On Cedars was amazing to me and The Aviator, Bringing Out The Dead and the Good Shepherd were great too. Vittorio Storaro, Vilmos Zsigmond, Jack Green and Conrad L. Hall are also my favorite DOP's.

At the same time, any DOP who works and creates new images are inspirational, no matter what level. I love talking with other cinematographers about their favorite films and shots and the projects they shoot. Everyone who shoots because they love to inspires me to keep doing what I'm doing and working towards.