Less-expensive slow-motion 35mm cameras

Zachary Vex

I'm trying to find 35mm cameras that can operate at highish frame rates and don't cost an arm and a leg. Do such cameras exist?

One not so expensive option is the Kinor Temp 1 SKL. I think it can go up to 150fps and I recently saw one on ebay for like......$3500 with lenses. Occasionally you'll see an Arri IIc Highspeed that maxes out at 80fps, but they're a little harder to come by. Another option would be one of the older Mitchell cameras, some of those models could do 120fps. Hope that helps.

• Premium Member
I'm trying to find 35mm cameras that can operate at highish frame rates and don't cost an arm and a leg. Do such cameras exist?

Hi,

My 1959 Mitchell is rock steady @120 fps, probably one of the best cheap options, Arri III's are also fairly cheap today.

Stephen

• Premium Member

As Stephen suggested an Arri III is a good way to go. The movement on the Arri 2C is not really made for High Speed ? although they can run at 80fps there tends to be ?loop slap?, for lack of a better term, over 50fps and registration tends to be a bit dodgy.

As Stephen suggested an Arri III is a good way to go. The movement on the Arri 2C is not really made for High Speed ? although they can run at 80fps there tends to be ?loop slap?, for lack of a better term, over 50fps and registration tends to be a bit dodgy.

Good morning Phil,

The Arri 2C Hi-Speed could be set up to run a very steady 80 f.p.s. If you look at the gate door of the speed version there are four small adjustable screws with lock nuts on them on the back side. These are to control the adjustment of the travel of the pressure plate. We used to set the top pair up a little tighter then the bottom two. This and some tweaking of the tension on the mag clutches resulted in a more then useable image at high speed. There were tension gauges for both of these adjustments, but we just kinda got use to the feel of them after a while and could tell by touch when they were right.

Have a happy new year up there in Big Sky Country,

Chuck

• Premium Member
Good morning Phil,

The Arri 2C Hi-Speed could be set up to run a very steady 80 f.p.s. If you look at the gate door of the speed version there are four small adjustable screws with lock nuts on them on the back side. These are to control the adjustment of the travel of the pressure plate. We used to set the top pair up a little tighter then the bottom two. This and some tweaking of the tension on the mag clutches resulted in a more then useable image at high speed. There were tension gauges for both of these adjustments, but we just kinda got use to the feel of them after a while and could tell by touch when they were right.

Have a happy new year up there in Big Sky Country,

Chuck

Howdy Chuck,

I'm in Wales at the moment but Happy New Year none-the-less! I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. I'm of the mind that although a 2C may be fine- tuned to run at high speed they don't do it that well or for that long.

Although a 2C may run at 80 fps holding registration over 50 fps has always been a challenge. The problem of the loop slap is the design of the camera movement. It was first explained to me by Andre Martin who has run Clairmont Cameras' camera department for a good number of years. I discussed it with him after seeing bad registration on more than one camera. I?ll take your suggestion on board about the pressure plate adjustment although I?d worry about scratching the stock.

From my point of view the 2C is not a camera I would recommend someone purchase for high speed. The Arri 3 came along and after they sorted the mirror out it was a very useable high-speed camera, built like a brick and one I recommend buying.

New Years Cheers from wet and windy Wales.

Guest shutter bug

ive seen 35mm high speed cameras on ebay come up for very little moneyas long as you dont mind a non reflex unit

It depends on what framerate you are looking for. There are a lot of high speed instrumentation type motion picture cameras that appear on e-bay. Manufacturers include:

Fastax

Milliken

Photo-sonics

Hycam

Redlake

These sort of cameras have a few problems that need to be considered:

-may have unusual frame size

-Small film capacity

-Many use a rotating prism rather than the conventional shutter

-Require ancilliary electronics

-More common in 16mm than 35mm.

I wonder what speed an Eyemo can manage before registration becomes an issue?

Henry.

One not so expensive option is the Kinor Temp 1 SKL. I think it can go up to 150fps and I recently saw one on ebay for like......$3500 with lenses. Occasionally you'll see an Arri IIc Highspeed that maxes out at 80fps, but they're a little harder to come by. Another option would be one of the older Mitchell cameras, some of those models could do 120fps. Hope that helps.

Kinor and TEMP ( 1SKL ) two different cameras.

Yes, TEMP ( 1SKL ) russian high speed camera with speed up to 150 fps with high preicision transport mechanism with registrations pins.

I worry, $3500 can have price original version of TEMP with KS film style mechanism.

The modified mechanism for BH and with good set of lenses can have a some high price.

But, this is real very good camera.

I know one TEMP for sell with modified BH mechanism, new style crystal synch speed control.

The details about this camera, can ask me.

About Arri IIC, I don't know.

I know, the any high speed camera with speed more 60 fps must have special version of high speed mechanism and registration pins. The other versions of mechanisms will have bad volume of frame stability.