Over Keepers / Sliders

David Erlichman

I may have to purchase an overkeeper / slider / linear bed in the New Year and am trying to find sources of such items. I know Modern Studio Equipment has one model. Walter Klassen (of the SteadiCam vest) makes the Side Step (horribly over prices, but beautifully made!) and have come across a couple from Vancouver (Young FX?).

I'm looking for websites (with specs and photos), contact phone numbers and prices.

Thanks!

Dave

I may have to purchase an overkeeper / slider / linear bed in the New Year and am trying to find sources of such items. I know Modern Studio Equipment has one model. Walter Klassen (of the SteadiCam vest) makes the Side Step (horribly over prices, but beautifully made!) and have come across a couple from Vancouver (Young FX?).

I'm looking for websites (with specs and photos), contact phone numbers and prices.

Thanks!

Dave

Hello Dave.

Have you tried www.theslider.com. I'm not entirely certain if www.supersliders.com is a manufacturer site but there's contact info for you to follow up. Also there's www.jbslider.com.

I've used Modern, The Slider and Klassen's original Side Step I (not a linear bearing bed).

The new Side Step II is very sexy and the price does include a hard travel case and additional Mitchell/Euro mount. The price is much too high for me also. High prices are usually offset for me by the rental potential of the gear. They could still come down a couple thousand.

I love Modern's Slider. It works just as it should. No frills, no fuss, fair price. They will make custom lengths for you without "custom" costs.

The Slider has a new generation of sliders shown on the website that has a few design details that I really like. All sliders are basically the same but this company has cut out holes along the sides of the channel and 3/8th holes on the bottom. Slider's now lighter as a result and there are more rigging possibilities. The path of the sliding Mitchell is also engraved with indexed markings a good feature for Tabletop that's also sure to make the job of the AC and Camera Operator that much easier. There are a few other features but those stand out for me. I used this slider recently. CSC carries it here in New York.

Basically the more people you impress the more likely you are to be called.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with everything.

Tshaka

• Premium Member

I'm a big fan of Supersliders, partially because I think they're well made, but also because of the support from the owner (Tom Slocum - very friendly and knowledgeable). I don't know if he sells them or only rents them, but you could try him at 310.387.5875 (cell). He has sliders in the following lengths:

28"

32"

36"

48"

60"

72"

96"

166" (this is used for remote/motion control)

• 2 years later...
Hello Dave.

Have you tried www.theslider.com. I'm not entirely certain if www.supersliders.com is a manufacturer site but there's contact info for you to follow up. Also there's www.jbslider.com.

I've used Modern, The Slider and Klassen's original Side Step I (not a linear bearing bed).

The new Side Step II is very sexy and the price does include a hard travel case and additional Mitchell/Euro mount. The price is much too high for me also. High prices are usually offset for me by the rental potential of the gear. They could still come down a couple thousand.

I love Modern's Slider. It works just as it should. No frills, no fuss, fair price. They will make custom lengths for you without "custom" costs.

The Slider has a new generation of sliders shown on the website that has a few design details that I really like. All sliders are basically the same but this company has cut out holes along the sides of the channel and 3/8th holes on the bottom. Slider's now lighter as a result and there are more rigging possibilities. The path of the sliding Mitchell is also engraved with indexed markings a good feature for Tabletop that's also sure to make the job of the AC and Camera Operator that much easier. There are a few other features but those stand out for me. I used this slider recently. CSC carries it here in New York.

Basically the more people you impress the more likely you are to be called.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with everything.

Tshaka

Aloha, My name is Ron Veto. Both Jerry Giacalone and I are very proud of our new mini-Slider. Please check us out at theslider.com/ Sometimes we're called

The "Original"Slider to help separate and identify one Slider from another. It's only 32" long with the same basic looks and design as our other models. We have the 3',4', 6', and 8' Sliders. A few of the 8' Sliders have a motion control set up. Check us out in next months International Cinematographers Mag. It runs like glass, is very user friendly for both grips, the camera assistant and the operator. We build it bullet proof and with rigging in mind. After all if you can't get it out there safely then what good is it? You can run our Slider vertically, inverted or flat. It is very quiet which the sound man will appreciate. You can extend the Sliders reach easily from the center mass to a off set position. Just in case you want to extend over a table top or to make it more comfortable for the operator. It can handle any camera format and also has 75mm,100mm and 150mm video ball adapters available for rent or purchase. I use it on my T.V. show "The Sarah Silverman Program" and it has certainly made me look good. I need all the help I can get. Sometimes there isn't a take two. On "Rambo" last year we needed two units to keep Sly happy with dirty overs. The Slider helps me salvage those shots along with adding dynamic movement where there was none before. The longer Slider sizes actually are designed for creating shots around it. I'm very proud to offer this product to help us all look good. Please try all the Sliders out there. I hope you see that we offer a fine product. And we have fun doing it too. Any suggestions are always appreciated. That's how we grow. Thanks for listening, Good times, Ron Veto-theslider.com

• 1 month later...