Panasonic DVX100 v HVX200 - which is best?

Guest Robert G Andrews

Guest Robert G Andrews

I'd really love to know from anyone who knows. What's the main difference?

& a very happy new year from London!

LondonFilmMan

• Premium Member

I'd really love to know from anyone who knows. What's the main difference?

& a very happy new year from London!

LondonFilmMan

Which are better -- apples or oranges? The HVX200 is a prosumer HD camcorder; the DVX100 is a standard-def video camera.

Like David said the cameras have very little except for the manufacturers name similar. One is a great 24p standard defenition camera and the hvx200 is a high defenition camcorder. If your asking because you have a choice between both of them go for the hvx200 because it can support an uncompressed output, multiple framerates and it is hd.

Guest Robert G Andrews

I guess a high definition camcorder as opposed to standard definition is the way to go...? Although I had been hoping to find a professional camera not a prosumer cam. One of a very good broadcast quality... are these Panasonic's the cams to get? In the past, with video, I've shot great footage, but only because of the content, the quality had always let me down. Are these cams truly good enough to shoot documentaries or even a feature film/B-movie (not that I intend to do that, I'm just trying to guage its range and limitations)

Recently we did a two camera-job with one DVX-100A and a HVX-200. In DV-PAL 16/9 Letterbox. Due to the bizarre behavior of the viewfinder on the HVX-200 we accidently underexposed the HVX-200. After color-correction, the HVX Footage looked noisy and blurry and the DVX-100A turned out to be better. The HVX-200 seems to perform rather bad in low-light situations...

The sound-input on the HVX performed not as good as on the DVX... we had distortions on the HVX although it wasn't peaking on the VU...

I think the pros and cons of the HVX have been discussed elsewhere already, as mentioned by zamir one of the big plus is that you can record 4:2:2 in different frame-rates, but only on P2 cards or hard-drive...

I don't think that you can expect broadcast-quality glass on a under 10k prosumer camera, but you still can shoot nice stuff with it...

• Premium Member

When exposed properly, the hvx200 is much less noisey than the dvx100. neither handle low-light extremely well, so take that into account.

All and all, the hvx is the more versatile tool with a higher quality image.

...it has a longer range lens and true 16x9

Has anybody heard rumors about the HVX lens' focus troubles at long distances? From what I've been told, if you zoom in on a subject that's at a longer distance, maybe 40', the focus you see in the viewfinder doesn't match up with foot marking of the lens. This really concerns me, since Panasonic still doesn't believe in interchangeable lenses.

When exposed properly, the hvx200 is much less noisey than the dvx100.

noise seems to be same or less on HVX, the strange thing is that the HVX gets soft underexposed, I don't know how to explain it, but it happens...

When I underexpose the DVX and lift it in post it gets noisy too but stays sharp, the HVX is softer in such circumstances... This is maybe an extreme situation that rarely happens, but somehow an intriguing observation...

Another Observation was that the HVX has higher contrast (or higher gamma) compared to DVX with the same settings... If you want them to look similar you have to ad some gammacorrection (1.1-1.2) on the DVX in post...

Has someone had similar trouble with the soundinputs on the HVX? this reminded me of the problems some sony cameras (pd-100, pd-150 or pdx-10) had with certain mics and mixers...

• 2 weeks later...

According to the folks at Reel-Stream the HVX200 actually has smaller individual pixels than the DVX100 in order to achieve HD resolution on the same 1/3 inch CCD. If you compare the image from an Andromedized DVX with HVX200 footage, you might have a cleaner image with better latitude from the former as it's 4:4:4 uncompressed. The plug-in is pricey however. But it's still cheaper than the HVX with P2 cards. I went with the DVX100B cause it was inexpensive and there was a good rebate and the Andromeda option is there to go HD with it if I need to.