Polarizing filters on a bolex

Nick Mulder

I've discovered the 10mm, 26mm and 75mm Switar primes all use odd filter ring sizes that are hard to find polarizing filters in ...

The POE and PTL zooms dont even have a thread ...

I understand that there is the gelatin filter holder but this wont work with polarizing filters due to the necessity to being able to rotate the filter.

I've investigated using set up filter rings but even that causes at least a hassle/inefficiency/cost that I would rather workaround.

what is the usual system ? some sort of matte box thing with a rotatable disk on it ?

Or are they simply not used ?

I should correct myself - both the POE and PTL do have threads - dont know why I never noticed ...

I also found: http://www.brentfinley.com/switar.htm

its a bad habit answering ones own threads !

but thank you for the info David - I think a mattebox and a good collection of accessories would be a good investment also

I have the Poe 17-100 zoom and what I ended up doing was taking the lens cap, cutting out the cener and taping on an 86mm UV fitler on what remained. From there, I was able to get an 86mm polarizer for cheep on Ebay and it screwed on just fine. Also, I later got a 86mm to Series 9 step ring so I could put on an 85 filter and not use the behind the lens filter. As for primes, it's easier than you think to find a step ring from a switar to something like 49mm thread by going on the (again) Ebay. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

The POE and PTL are designed to use Series 9 drop-in (unthreaded) filters. Unfortunately the POE/PTL threads and retaining ring are nonstandard (85mm) so they won't take Series 9 threaded filters (86.5mm?) like polarizers and grads. Chambless sells a custom 85mm to Series 9 adaptor but it's kind of pricey. I managed to find a couple of Tiffen 84.5mm to Series 9 step-rings which work fine (a little teflon plumber's tape helps).